PDA

View Full Version : .NET service install

BigAlbert
09-08-2005, 10:04 AM
I've already published this thread at the ISD 9 comunity, but with no real luck so..

Can some one please explain \ point me ? I need to know how to properley install .NET created EXE as a service once creating a pure MSI project

What are vraious the .Net fileds means and how should I use them?? ".NET installer class" , ".NET installer class arguments"

_doog_
09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
a .net service is installed exactly as a normal service, you need none of the .net properties to be set.

SGorman
09-08-2005, 11:07 AM
If the .NET app makes use of an Installer Class (this means that you would normally run the installutil.exe tool to install the service) then you would use the .NET installer class option. In other words, if the developer tells me that I need to run "installutil" then I know to say Yes to .NET installer class option.

If installutil requires comand line arguments, you enter those arguments (although none of my files require arguments so I have no experience with how well it works.)

If the developer tells me that I need to run "regasm" then I say Yes to .NET COM Interop.

If you use .NET Scan at Build it automatically scans for and attempts to add dependencies (files) to the install. I have found this feature somewhat problematic and usually turn it off by setting it to Properties Only.

BigAlbert
09-11-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

SGorman, does this means that once I want to install .net service which uses the installer class, I will need to use the regullar service installer in adition to the .Net parameters setting or that the parameters setting will be sufficient??

SGorman
09-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I did not have to use the regular service installer. Just the installer class did it.

BigAlbert
09-13-2005, 08:25 AM
I keep getting 1001 errors telling me that
"An exception occurred in the OnAfterInstall event handler of System.ServiceProcess.ServiceProcessInstaller".
But once I'm trying to install the service via command lind by pointing to the install util, the service installation works fine.

Any ideas??

SGorman
09-13-2005, 08:36 AM
I can tell you that I have had problems with installutil. I didn't get the error you have, but I came across some dll's that install just fine from the command line, but error out in the Commit phase when installed using the MSI. Clearly, the MSI uses a different method for running installutil than you get when you run from the command line.

I eventually gave up and wrote custom actions that call installutil on install and installutil /u for uninstall.

Similarly, I have self-registering COM dll's that register just fine from the command line but won't properly register when I use Extract at Build. *shrug*

I don't know about you but I'm finding these install features for registration to be frustratingly unreliable to use.

BigAlbert
09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for you time, I will adopt youre approach.