PDA

View Full Version : Independent QuickPatch

carsten
09-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to create a QuickPatch that can patch the main install and any other updates, if my QuickPatch only contains adding files.

The problem now is that when I make QuickPatches I have to base the latest patch on the privious patch (and so on), so that I get the sum of all patches.

Can I make a QuickPatch that only contains the adding files, and independently can patch all privious and possible future updates?

-cpede

Aristotle
09-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Hi,

I had what sounds like the same problem as yours: how to do upgrades when all you intend to do is change the exe file and add new data files with each subsequent version. This is what QuickPatch is supposed to do.

Unfortunately, QuickPatch kept losing my shortcuts even though it was correctly installing the new exe and data files. I finally gave up trying to make it work properly and decided to try the following workaround:

1. I wrote a new setup file with a different Prod Code (Step 1 General Information). This new setup file installs new data files in the existing directories of the earlier version without disturbing earlier files.
2. The new exe file has to be installed in a newly created folder, a temporary folder used during installation only.
3. Do not declare any shortcuts for this upgrade (Step 3 Configure Target System). No need for them because the original shortcuts are preserved.
4. I also had to write a small copier program used as a custom action (Step 5 Custom Actions). This copier program runs after the exe and data files are installed. All it does is copy the new exe file to the old exe file location, that is, overwrites it.

Each new upgrade setup file should include all the earlier data files since the original install and the newest exe file. This way, any upgrade will be able to upgrade any earlier installation.

I've tested this several times through Version 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with upgrades of 1 and 2. It works fine.

Ari

P.S. By the way, did you get QuickPatch to work properly, including preserving the old shortcuts?

carsten
09-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi thanks for the answer,

I can see that what I think you do is to make minor upgrades to your program. This approach would probably also work for me, but I think that keeping track of previous and future versions would be difficult.
An, I actually don't have problems with shortcuts after performing a quickpatch.

What I want is to make a quickpatch that e.g. adds a new dll and writes a key in the registry. This quickpatch should be able to run on any previous version and quickpactes of the program, as well at future quickpatches.
I don't know if this is possible?

-cpede