PDA

View Full Version : Patch issue requires workaround

sks2004
09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Our upgrade (via Patch) procedure require that we run an application that is installed by the original installation...Update05.exe. This application eventually will execute a Patch (update.exe), besides other things.

The problem is; when the Patch gets to a certain point, Windows Installer kicks-in and displays an error; 'some files that need to be updated are currently in use'. Update05.exe is running, and Windows Installer thinks that it needs to be upgraded.

How can I get around this problem?

The Update05.exe component is conditoned within the original install and the latest install as such; 'Not PATCH'...but that doesn't seem to help. I didn't think that conditioning a Component with this value would work...

What can I do to work around this issue? Is there a way to tell Windows Installer to ignore a specific Component? Certainly would be nice.

I'm thinking that I may be able to overcome this issue if I put the application into it's own Feature...then set REINSTALL = Feature1, Feature2, etc...and not include the 'Update05" feature.

sks2004
09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Our upgrade (via Patch) procedure require that we run an application that is installed by the original installation...Update05.exe. This application eventually will execute a Patch (update.exe), besides other things.

The problem is; when the Patch gets to a certain point, Windows Installer kicks-in and displays an error; 'some files that need to be updated are currently in use'. Update05.exe is running, and Windows Installer thinks that it needs to be upgraded.

How can I get around this problem?

The Update05.exe component is conditoned within the original install and the latest install as such; 'Not PATCH'...but that doesn't seem to help. I didn't think that conditioning a Component with this value would work...

What can I do to work around this issue? Is there a way to tell Windows Installer to ignore a specific Component? Certainly would be nice.

I'm thinking that I may be able to overcome this issue if I put the application into it's own Feature...then set REINSTALL = Feature1, Feature2, etc...and not include the 'Update05" feature.
Our solution is to NOT build the file and it's dependencies, unless they are truly needed. This will allow the application to run, and Windows Installer won't complain. If the file or any of it's dependencies ARE altered and then built upon a new release, then the user will need to reboot for the files to be updated. I'll need to adjust the 'Files In Use' dialog to accomodate...and force a reboot.