PDA

View Full Version : lost icons for shortcuts

Bob Frakes
09-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Has anyone out there been able to get a shortcut to the desktop associate with an icon?

I've posted twice on this and have even sent a bug report to Macrovision. They have not responded. I refuse to pay for support on a product this buggy.

I even thought it must be me not understanding. I bought their $50.00 PDF showing how it works. $50.00 for a manual that should come with the product that cost $99.00 to upgrade. Something is wrong with this picture.

Does anyone out the share my sentiment on this poorly written buggy product?

Express 2.13 was limited but it works. This product is on the shelf until some of the bugs are fixed...

Highly Dissatisfied in Oklahoma

Aristotle
09-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Bob,

I too upgraded for $99. Previously, I used Express 3.5 and thought that surely by now at least the most basic bugs would have been fixed. Not so. I echo your sentiments. It's a buggy product with no support after purchase. I have never encountered total lack of support from any other software company.

I gave up on trying to get QuickPatch to work as advertised since no help was in sight unless I paid for the maintenance plan. What a nerve! No support at all for a product that will not do the simplest and most basic install functions. It is surprising that not even the Macrovision moderators on this board seem to answer the most basic questions being asked. I'm considering writing to the Macrovision :mad: CEO and let him know about this lack of customer support because it is creating a bad image for his company.

As far as your problem is concered, I had a similar problem with icons not appearing even though I scrutinized every entry in the Installation Designer. The original ise file was called Hello.ise. I decided to create a new ise file called Goodbye.ise that imported the same exe and support files as before. However, the new file did work, so I used a Save As to rename Goodbye.ise as Hello.ise. The new Hello.ise then worked fine.

This is only one of wierd and inconsistent things that Express 11 is doing.

Highly dissatisfied in Texas!

Ari

Bob Frakes
09-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Does the problem seem to be converting the old .ise files?

You imported the original .ise file and did a save as and it worked? Very bizarre. I downloaded Orca from Microsoft and looked through the .mse file and even tried to point the icon to the correct subdirectory and when I rebuilt the project, it lost the icon all together.

In my original post, I was also having Express 11 giving two errors because it could not register a font and some other obscure problem. These are probably bugs too, and I complained to Macrovision and they said if I purchase an maintenance plan, they would "refund" my maintenance plan fee if they were bugs. Since I do not want my user to be able to un-install my program (mission critical data), I turned on the feature that registers the program in the Windows Installer uninstall feature and those went errors went away.

I've also been looking around on other forums and similar problems with bugs seem to be evident on these forums also.

Who else out there is having problems with Express 11???

Aristotle
09-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Bob,

You may have misunderstood what I did. Here it is again to make sure. (The names Hello and Goodbye are fictitious; other names were used.)

1. I had a Hello.ise that when built into a setup file was not showing shortcuts, despite using Installation manager to check Steps 1, 2, 3, etc very carefully.
2. So, I created a totally new ise file named Goodbye.ise. I used the same exe and support files used in Hello.ise. I built Goodbye.ise and ran its setup file, which worked fine.
3. Because I wanted to use the name Hello.ise for the project, I saved Goodbye.ise as Hello.ise. Building Hello.ise then produced a setup file that worked.

Because of the foregoing and other strange things that happen with Express, I am wondering if they store some of the information as hidden aliases that come back to haunt you on modifications of the ise file you are working on. Maybe that's why a totally new ise file with a new Prod Code works.

Ari

Bob Frakes
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Per your last query. I've attached a PDF showing what happens when I try to change the icon for the shortcut.

RedmondMike
09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I decided to create a new ise file called Goodbye.ise that imported the same exe and support files as before. However, the new file did work, so I used a Save As to rename Goodbye.ise as Hello.ise. The new Hello.ise then worked fine.

This is only one of wierd and inconsistent things that Express 11 is doing.

I'm having the same exact thing happen here. Some builds/install projects will show a desktop icon that I tell it to, some show the default windows exe icon. With absolutely no discernable difference in the projects.

Redmond Mike