PDA

View Full Version : Verifying InstallDir : One last pesky question

IsaacG
09-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't think I am really grasping the whole database installer approach here, and I am starting to think I shouldn't have tried for a Basic MSI installation.

Sorry to be so needy.

I want to give the user the ability to set their own INSTALLDIR, but I want to make sure they don't try to install over the previous version of our software. To do this I was going to check to see if the INSTALLDIR was pointing to a folder containing oldversion.exe before allowing them to continue. If oldversion.exe was present we would display a message and return to the Destination Folder Dialog.

At first I thought System Search was my solution, but a search of the forums quickly revealed that this runs WAY too early in the sequence. Then I realized I probably wanted to set a custom event to run just before the Ready To Install Dialog.

So currently I am thinking I need to create Setup.rul and build a function to do what I want. Beyond that, I am still a little lost as to the exact implementation - reading the installscript language reference now to see if I can catch a clue.

Does it sound like I am on the right track? Anyone have any sage words of advice?

Happy Days
09-05-2005, 10:00 AM
IsaacG,

Can you try moving down the AppSearch custom action, in between CostFinalize and InstallInitialize, and see if that helps.

Cheers.