PDA

View Full Version : Removing a copy of an installed file

DMorisseau
08-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I have an install which copies a DLL to a specific staging location, not the final location (Don't ask, I don't know why this program handles the DLLs this way, I've only just started working on this project). When the main program launches, any new or updated dlls are copied to the main app's directory. During QA testing of the uninstall process, the DLL gets removed from the staging area (which is where I was told to write it to), but its copy is still in the Main App's directory. How can I get my uninstall to remove the copy?

RobertDickau
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Can you add a record to the RemoveFile table (in the Direct Editor view)?

DMorisseau
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
That solved half my problem..Because of the way this app handles the staging of dll updates to the clients, even if the dll is removed from the staging area (i.e. if the add-on is uninstalled), it will still be on the client systems, and leave the potential for the user to hit that area of the system when they aren't supposed to be able to.

sks2004
09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Could this be done in a manner to avert self/auto-repair?

DMorisseau
09-13-2005, 10:51 AM
As things stand now, once the add-on dll is removed from the staging area, it is no longer updated on the client machine during the next firing of the main application. The problem now is the add-on dll still sits and is registered on the client machines. This brings up the possiblity of allowing the user functionality that has been de-installed on the staging box.

I tried to get someone to explain to me why this project is architected in this way, and the explanation was that this enabled updates to be centrally kept and avoided the running around to multiple workstations to perform updates. Understandably, my superiors do not want to change what is not broken, but they also don't want clients accessing functionality that they may have tried out and later de-installed.