PDA

View Full Version : Modify Installation Path during Change Option.

VILEPARLE
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Basic MSI Project.
1 Feature
Multiple Components i.e Config, UserDat, Bin, Log

I have installation that asks Paths for ConfigDir, InstallDir, LogFileDir.
Once the installation is complete it installs all the files at selected folders.

What I want to do is when the installation is re-run from ARP Change button, I would like to show the same dialog and give user option to change Config and Log file Folders. Once they selected the new path would like to copy all the files in existing folders and copy to new folders. Most importantly I would also want the installer to recognize the new path when its run in Change mode.

Is this possible in MSI projects?

Thanks
Vikram

VILEPARLE
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Any Ideas!!!
Situation is Log files and User Data files are mapped to Network drive location for sharing purposes. If the drive letter is changed tomorrow installation shouldn't be uninstall and reinstall. User should be able to run the installation from Change mode and redirect those files to new location.

pkass02
08-22-2007, 04:34 AM
I have similar problems:
Multiple Features, most of them are going to the INSTALLDIR of
the main Installation.
But 3 features are application projects, and the user should be able to
change the INSTALLDIR to a different drive than the main/base product.
This works fine for a new installation.

But once the base product is installed, one cannot perform a maintanance
installation and adding one of the application projects to a different path,
because the "Change" button in the Feature-Tree-View of the Custom Installation is hidden by the condition "Installed", which is true, if my
base installation ist installed.

I tried to use 'MsiSelectionTreeSelectedAction = 3' as condition, but this did not work as expected.

Who can help ?

TsungH
08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
One should not attempt to change target directory path during maintenance installation. For info, please read up on Changing the Target Location for a Directory (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367852.aspx).

pkass02
08-29-2007, 03:01 PM
One should not attempt to change target directory path during maintenance installation. For info, please read up on Changing the Target Location for a Directory (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367852.aspx).

Fine :mad: , but this must be a bug. I reported following to microsoft:

-----

As multiple target directories are supported for distinct features, it is possible at first time installation
to install several features into their own target directories.

It can not be understood, that this is no more possible during maintenance installation for features,
which were not installed at first time installation and the user wants to add the feature during maintenance.

This must clearly be stated as a bug, and so do our customers.

Any suggestions to work around this issue ?

Sincerely