PDA

View Full Version : Tidy up after install, modify and repair

TonyLowrey
08-24-2005, 09:37 AM
I have a custom action .exe which I run OK to help install my files but this always gets left behind somewhere either in tempdir or SUPPORTDIR. I thought that support files were removed at the end of the installation but they loiter unnervingly.

Do I have to write another custom action to delete them or is there a built-in action to do this?

I guess another question is what is the standard MSI way (non IS, ie. not using SupportFiles feature) to install these temporary files for use during the installation only and which are removed at the end. My searches so far have not produced any ideas. If I include the files in a standard component then they are hard to remove at the end of the installation as the assumption is they are being installed and should remain at the end.

RobertDickau
08-24-2005, 09:14 PM
If you use the custom action type Launch an EXE > Stored in the Binary table, MSI should handle the cleanup for you.

TonyLowrey
08-25-2005, 09:34 AM
That works for the .exe CA but I have a number of other files which have to be copied and processed by the CA into files which become part of the installed files.
I have tried putting them in a component installed in tempdir but this has a number of downsides in that as the files get deleted as they are in temp a repair opertion will re-install the temp files!
I have tried them in the IS Support Files but they do not appear to get deleted at the end of the install.