PDA

View Full Version : Need multiple copies of dependency files in installation

chris.peacock
08-24-2005, 06:13 AM
I'm building a Basic MSI project which includes some InstallScript. I have a .Net assembly "MyAssembly.dll" which I need to install in a fixed location "c:\windows\MyAssembly\" that is outside of the main application install directory, but that shares some dependencies of assemblies in the main install directory. These dependencies (which cannot be placed in the GAC) are not getting copied into "c:\windows\MyAssembly\" with the result that "MyAssembly.dll" won't work.

I thought that perhaps setting the Application Paths advanced setting of the component containing "MyAssembly.dll" to contain the main install directory would solve the problem by eliminating the need for the second copies of the dependencies, but for some reason the Application Paths view of the component is not letting me make any changes.

Is there a proper approach to this sort of problem, whereby a dependency file is needed in more than one place?

Thanks for your help.

MichaelU
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
App Paths are application-specific modifications to the PATH variable, which are automatically applied for the EXE they are linked to. This means you need to set it for your main executable or executables, and there reference the path that your assembly is installed to. I'm not conversant enough with with fusion loading rules to know if they utilize PATH, so if they don't this would still not have the desired effect.

chris.peacock
08-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Michael I'll try this. I've also thought of the idea of using linked files, as all the dependencies in question are in the same source directory as the second DLL that needs them.

I'm surprised that InstallShield/Windows Installer can't cope with this in a tidy manner...