PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Instances of the Same Program

LaTtEX
08-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi!

I'm interested in knowing how it would be possible to edit the [PRODUCTNAME] attribute at runtime so that I can make several instances of the same web application. Is this possible?

I'd also like to edit several other things with it, like renaming objects in a SQL script included in the setup, according to the new productname.

Any suggestion will be deeply appreciated. :)

sjimmerson
08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
In the Releases workspace in InstallShield you can create multiple product configurations and in each product configuration you can specify a different product name. The product name would be changed at installation build time in this scenario; not at installation run time.

If you want to do it at run time, you could probably create a pulic property, set the public property on the command-line and then set the ProductName equal to this public property.

You could probably use a transform to set the ProductName as well.

RobertDickau
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
This turns out to be fairly difficult to do with Windows Installer; you need to change the ProductCode value too, in order for MSI to allow multiple copies. To see what MSI supports natively (and the platforms it's supported on), see the MSI Help Library topic "Installing Multiple Instances of Products and Patches".

LaTtEX
08-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.

sjimmerson

I am aware of that, but the problem is my installer has to be able to make n (as in any number) of instances for different purposes. I couldn't be able to anticipate that using the upgrades feature of Installshield, and even if I did, my installer will become fairly huge.

Robert Dickau

Is the MSI Help Library publicly available? May I know its URL?

Thanks!

sjimmerson
08-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Sorry if you misunderstood my response to mean to use upgrades as this was not intended.

Robert is correct though. You would need a different a ProductCode and probably different Package and Upgrade codes as well.

How do you plan on knowing the product name to use at run time?

Is is possible that these these renamed install packages will be installed on the same PC?

RobertDickau
08-23-2005, 06:27 PM
(And I assume you've found it by now, but the MSI Help Library is available under the Help menu, included with the InstallShield Help Library...)