PDA

View Full Version : Plz HELP!! SQL Scripts???

adlibedoc
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I have downloaded the evaluation of 11 Pro. Below is what I need to accomplish....can anyone help with this?

1. Allow user to select Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle
2. Connect to appropriate server with login credentials
3. Run SQL Scripts to create tables, etc. (need some user input here)

I don't think there is anyway I can do this through the IDE b/c I need to select which SQL Server to use and also need user input to pass into the SQL Scripts.

DMorisseau
08-18-2005, 02:04 PM
What type of user inputs are you looking to pass? The SQLServerSelectLogin dialog boxes allow you to specify the server, authentication method, user id and password. You would specify the database name in the IDE.

The Runtime and Text Replacement tabs of each script allow you to manipulate when the script is run and perform Text Replacement within the script itself.

I'll confess to being more familiar with MSI functionality where I don't have to script the dialogs to run.

adlibedoc
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Mainly I need to know the userID in one of my SQL Scripts.......what I really need is to be able use an Installscript variable in the Text Replacement field of the SQL Scripts IDE.

What kind of data or variable can you use in the text replacement IDE??? I tried just typing in an example string and it doesn't work?

DMorisseau
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
I think it may be easier to do this with a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project. Then you can choose the Sql related properties directly from a pick list.

adlibedoc
08-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Yes....I opened an MSI project and I think u may be correct, however I have other requirements that I need to use the Installscript project type.....I just need to perform runtime text replacement from user input. :confused:

DMorisseau
08-24-2005, 09:59 AM
You can still have InstallScript as part of an MSI project to get around what MSI doesn't do on its own (I use it all the time in my projects). The important thing to know is that once you create your InstallScript functions, you need to schedule them as custom actions to occur at the desired point in the installation. This can be done from the Sequences view, or your action can be the result of a control being hit on a dialog (Dialog Behavior screens allow you to control this part of it).

ishraque
01-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I am new to InstallShield and working 11 version how to do that custom action. I am unable to find where exactly we ahve to create a custom action. My req. to install five software on after the other (to launch .exe) for the features window. plz help in this issue

Thanx in advance

Ishraque