PDA

View Full Version : How to create a log for the files installed?

vivekprasanna
08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I am using InstallScript MSI project. I need to create a log for the files installed. I tried to use the event OnInstallingFile(szFilename) to get the list of the installed files. This event was never called during the run-time. I later figured from the InstallScript forum that this event is only applicable for the InstallScript project. Is there any other way to log the files? Please help...!!!!

Regards,
Vivek.

sjimmerson
08-19-2005, 03:47 PM
It would help if you explained the purpose of this log file you wish to create.

vivekprasanna
08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I need to log the list of files installed. I tried using OnInstallingFile() event, but later I realised that this can be only used with InstalSCript project. I am using InstallScriptMSI project. Whatever fiels I have added inside the component in my feature must be logged after being installed.

sjimmerson
08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I still don't understand the purpose of the log file. You can generate a log file via the msiexec command-line or the setup.exe bootstrapper. The log file generated is used mainly for debugging/troubleshooting purposes, but could be used for other purposes I suppose.

I use Basic MSI projects so I won't be able to help you on the InstallScript side of things.

nitsev
08-23-2005, 02:20 AM
How can you create a log file if you use setup.exe? I thought that was not possible (I am talking about MSI installation here, not InstallScript)

I still don't understand the purpose of the log file. You can generate a log file via the msiexec command-line or the setup.exe bootstrapper. The log file generated is used mainly for debugging/troubleshooting purposes, but could be used for other purposes I suppose.

I use Basic MSI projects so I won't be able to help you on the InstallScript side of things.

Aflaat
08-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Go to your release and near the bottom of the list on teh right, you will see "MSI Command Line Arguments" use

/Liwrmo!vepacu %TMP%\logfile.log

And it will create a log file int he tmp dir. If you want to use silent installs, look up the /qn commands in the help docs.