PDA

View Full Version : Basic MSI Project

Mike Gabinsky
08-16-2005, 07:33 AM
I've just started using Install Shield 11. Frankly, I don't know where to begin. :confused: I've generated a few simple questions. Can anyway help to start me off?

1. get the following warning at compile time:
Double click here to see more information on error: -6245 -6245: One or more of the project's components contain .NET properties that require the .NET Framework. It is recommended that the release include the .NET Framework.
I want to add this prerequisite to my project, but I can’t find it. What do I do?

2. I need to add a custom action to run regasm.exe on one of my assemblies. I found references in the documentation indicating that this is somehow possible, but I couldn’t find an example I could understand how to use. Can you explain in brief how I can do it?
I am assuming that the installer will make sure that the .NET framework is installed on the target machine and that it will know somehow the location of regasm.exe

3.I am trying to compile my installation into a single file. How can I do this? Right now the build produces a directory structure containing an MSI file. However, if I try to separate the MSI from this directory structure the installation doesn’t work anymore. Perhaps I misunderstand how this technology works.
Can you offer assistance?

4.Can you help me make sense of the following wanring:
Double click here to see more information on error: -5061 -5061: The filename "C:\My InstallShield 11 Projects\BookRunnerInstall\BookRunnerDemo\BookRunnerDemo\Default Configuration\Debug\DiskImages\DISK1\System\msxml4.dll" already exists. Use the component, "MSXML4_Parser.21206420_6BA8_4CFB_A48C_C72A6BFE80C0" Source Location property to prevent this warning.
I need to include this component attached to one of my features.

Thank you very much for your help,

-Mike

RobertDickau
08-16-2005, 07:50 AM
For (1) and (3), anyway, you can use the Release Wizard to specify whether (and how) to include the .NET Framework and what you want the output to look like (compressed or uncompressed, with setup.exe or without, and so forth).

SGorman
08-16-2005, 08:00 AM
For (2) you shouldn't have to run regasm manually. If you look at your component properties, one of the properties is .NET COM Interop. Setting this property to Yes should get you the same effect as running regasm /codebase.

Just for reference, setting .NET Installer Class to Yes is the equivalent of running installutil (and you can provide arguments to that on the next line .NET Installer Class Arguments). Setting COM Extract at Build (or right clicking on the file and selecting Extract COM Data for file) is the equivalent of running regsvr32 to register the file.

Mike Gabinsky
08-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Thank you for answering my questions 1-3. It was just what I needed.

I have another problel. however. I am trying to include a splash screen bitmap in my project, but I get the following error at compile time.

Double click here to see more information on error: -6607 -6607: Your splash screen will not be displayed during the installation because C:\My InstallShield 11 Projects\BookRunnerInstall\BookRunnerDemo\splash_screen_blue.bmp is not a bitmap file. To display a splash screen, you must specify a valid bitmap file.

Is this a bug?