PDA

View Full Version : Static Product Code (Major Issue)



Aaron Young
08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I've spent the last three days chasing my tail around trying to get major upgrades to work. Upon installation I would always get the "Another version of this product is already installed..." dialog.

I made sure I was updating the ProductCode and the ProductVersion, and yet I get the same result.

On searching through the forum, I came across a similar problem someone was experiencing in 10.x and they had noted that the ProductCode inserted into the generated MSI file was always the same and was not the code specified in the project.

So I generated and checked a few MSI's and sure enough, the ProductCode is always being set to {EDEC92C1-78DE-4864-A450-1AA664EB6CCD}, which is a value that does not exist anywhere in the tables of my InstallShield project.

To compound the problem, I have another InstallShield 11 Windows Installer project, that appears to be working just fine (with the correct product code being inserted into the generated MSI)

I even went so far as to recreate my InstallShield project from scratch, thinking that maybe it was a problem caused by the conversion from 10.x.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Regards,

- Aaron.

Stefan Krueger
08-14-2005, 06:05 AM
In all cases where I have seen this problem, the cause was a merge module that had a ProductCode set in its property table. I think there was some version of InstallShield that erroneously added a ProductCode property when upgrading a Merge Module project file. Check your merge modules and remove the ProductCode property from the offending module.

MichaelU
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
One other place this can happen is on the Product Configuration node in the Releases view. Make sure there isn't an override for your Product Code in that location, as it takes precedence over the one in General Information.

Aaron Young
08-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Michael, thanks for the suggestion, I had already checked there (I had actually hoped I could
use it to work around the issue, but it didn't work.)

Stefan,

That was exactly the problem...
I removed the ProductCode property from several custom MergeModules that were
being referenced and now it does appear to be generating the correct code in the MSI file.

Thank you, you've saved me a major headache.

- Aaron.