PDA

View Full Version : Trialware does not support .NET,Java or PowerBuilder!?

slowhand
08-08-2005, 07:01 AM
We are thinking of upgrading to IS 11.0 from IS 10.5 Prof to make use of the new Activation Service and the IS Trialware functionality.
When i was trying to get information about these functionalities i came across the following entry in the Macrovision Knowledge Base:
BUG: Trialware Does Not Support .NET,Java or PowerBuilder (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111198)

It says that this bug even occures at IS Professionell 11.x !

As we have a .NET application this might be the end of all concerns about InstallShield..... I was really shocked when I read that! I mean what the hell is Quality Assurance at Macrovision doing ? The article says that trialware does not work correctly with interpreted languages !!!!

So could anybody confirm that this bug occures with IS Premier 11.0 ?

MichaelU
08-08-2005, 11:14 AM
There are really two issues at play here. Issue 1: the trialware functionality currently doesn't work with various interpreted languages. This one is technical in nature and more of a limitation than a bug. Issue 2: wrapping applications that trialware doesn't work with fails silently, and the eventual behavior is erratic. This is the real bug. While anyone using trialware is expected to do some amount of QA, it's bad practice to make it look like things succeeded when they did not.

It sounds like your complaint is primarily about issue 1, however. I know we're working hard to ease some the limitations but it's too early for me to say more than that; I'm not on the team doing that. Are you using one of the currently unwrappable technologies for your product? If so, care to put in a vote for which technology we should prioritize trialware for?

[Edit: I can read, really. A vote for .NET it is.]

slowhand
08-09-2005, 02:14 AM
@MichaelU
Thanks for your answer. You 're right I'm most annoyed by Issue 1.
What annoyed me most is, that this was not mentioned anywhere in the official marketing releases of MAcorvision. Far from it ! .NET Support is advertised as a feature ! I don't think that this behavior casts a good light on MacroVision and the product itself (by the way i think the concept of IS 11.0 working with Activation Service is great)

In fact what i understand now is that Activation Service and trialware only works fine with C++, C or VB6 applications... hmm .. that would be sufficient 5 years ago...

AS we ware now using IS 10.5 (and are really not staisfied with Quality issues in this release [XML]) I addressed this issue to a few people at Macrovision. But in fact what more can i do than do search for another prodcut for licensing... Our company needs a WORKING solution now not maybe in 6 months....

As far as i learned from the reaction of my superiors the whole thing once again shattered our confidence in MacroVision and Installshield as it makes the impression that Installshield releases unstable software...

Stefan Krueger
08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
What annoyed me most is, that this was not mentioned anywhere in the official marketing releases of MAcorvision.
They're not really advertising this limitation but it's documented here: http://support.installshield.com/activation/athens/installshield/faq.asp#FAQ100161

As a workaround, could you make your application use at least one Win32 exe or DLL (a launcher exe maybe) and protect that?

slowhand
08-10-2005, 01:25 AM
They're not really advertising this limitation but it's documented here: http://support.installshield.com/activation/athens/installshield/faq.asp#FAQ100161

This is exactly where I found out about it... after spending work two days on reading about features and possiblites of IS 11.0 and Activation Service..

As a workaround, could you make your application use at least one Win32 exe or DLL (a launcher exe maybe) and protect that?

Might be a work around. But reaction of our software department was clear. We are not gonna change anything in our development infrastructur or architectur to meet criterias of Installshield when other prodcuts for licensing are around providing full functionality for .NET (and are even cheaper as we do not need to update to IS 11.0)

I received a mail by a Macrovision Product Sales Consultant concerning this issue. She assured me that support for .NET and JAVA should be available in the next version of IS, but could not give me a releasedate.

SamCODit
09-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Hello,
The main reason why we bought Macrovision Installshield (version 11 - professional), was because of the licensing stuff with the trialware functionality.
Now it seems that we can not provide a trial version of our components that are ALL written in .Net. http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111198

Is there really no workaround for it? We are seriously considering to move to another product, if there is no workaround for this.
Best regards,

MichaelU
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
As Stefan mentioned, there's always the possibility of introducing a technical or business dependency on some native C/C++ EXE Launcher or runtime DLL, and using Trialware to protect that. It's not as point and click as it would be for a pure C++ application, or if Trialware offered a .NET solution, but it is a work around.

I also wanted to briefly react to the rumor that .NET wrapping would be available in our next release. I'm not quite sure what's open to say here, so let's just say I would suggest confirming the rumor before making any business decisions based on it.

SamCODit
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I created a simple VB6 class dll with one method. I included that dll in my project and tried to protect it with trialware, but during the build I get the exact same error as before:
ISDEV : error -7102: Error 0x8600000f occured while wrapping file xxx.dll1

The entire project is postponed, because of this issue. So please help me out on this...

SamCODit
09-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Anyone any updates on this? This is becoming serious!

jeffrey_holt
04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
We don't want to change our software to work around the issue. We made the mistake of buying the product because of its trialware capabilty; only to find out later that it doesn't support .NET files. So now we have to perform some riskly calculation to determine which is "better": write our own or continue to use this product.

Thanks, macrovision.