PDA

View Full Version : setup for pda

orenh123
08-03-2005, 01:50 AM
im new to install shield...
im using install shiled 11
i have to write an install project ot pdas (win ce)
the setup must install the program on the pda and the ask the use if he wants to install the program on another pda if yes it
will install it on another pda.
the next time the user activates
the setup it will repeate the descripbed above steps
and begin in maintenence mode
(it will not ask the user if he wants to remove /update/or reinstall just begin as if its the first time)
an example project will be greate ...
thank you very very much
O

DLee65
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
and begin in maintenence mode
(it will not ask the user if he wants to remove /update/or reinstall just begin as if its the first time)
O

The only way to start the installation in non-Maintenance mode is to remove the UninstallGUID. Otherwise there isn't any method to force InstallShield to start in !MAINTENANCE mode.

This means you are going to have to create a different method for uninstalling the app from the device if that is desired.

If you are using the WindowsCE object, I am not certain how to call the Application Manager again and again - which is what you would have to do.

The only method you have available to yourself that remotely relates to this is to call the following function (copied from IS 9 object file):

GetConnectedDevice - Returns the unique device identifier of the Windows CE device currently connected to the desktop computer, or -1 if a guest device is connected. If no device is connected, the return value will be zero. The prototype for this function is as follows:

NUMBER GetConnectedDevice(/*BOOL*/ bMustBeConnected, /*STRING*/ szRetryPrompt)

If a device has not been connected when this method is called, the user will be prompted to do so with a standard AskYesNo dialog. The szRetryPrompt parameter specifies the text that will be used for the dialog - if it is set to an empty string (""), a default prompt will be used. If the bMustBeConnected parameter is set to TRUE, the user will not be allowed to continue with the installation until they have connected their device.

All my PDA installations assume one user, so unfortunately I do not have an example to share with you. Also, I have very little code to handle the installation other than setting the TARGETDIR and other properties.