PDA

View Full Version : Launch a non executable after installation

PeterAtsublime
08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi -

The application I am installing needs to launch an html application (.hta) file.
In "Customize the Setup Appearance\Dialogs\Setup Complete Success" panel there are options to "Show Launch Program" and "Show Readme". Niether of these options will allow me to launch my .hta file. The show readme option doesn't even show any files at all? Thanks.

Peter

mberterm
08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
If I understand you correctly, the attached sample project should illustrate the desired functionality. In the sample, a text file with a custom extension is associated with an executable that can be used to launch and display the file.

I think that the key configuration that might be missing is to associate the extension with the EXE, effectively installing a file association verb. Look to the included Readme.txt for a description of the included files and functionality.

This sample process would would work best if the file extension is not already registered and the executable used to display the file is also being installed in the same package.

SanjeevBhatia
07-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi,

I tried launching HTA file through the project given by you and it worked fine.
But when I try the same thing in my Basic MSI project created through Installshield Version 11, it gives me error like :

Windows cannot find '\abc.hta"'. Make Sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.
Following are the steps I did in my Basic MSI project.
1. Created the custom action which launches SerialNumCAHelper.dll LaunchReadMe function
2.In the property manager , set the property "READMEFILETOLAUNCHATEND" to [INSTALLDIR]abc.hta. This property I tried with complete hard coded path, with [INSTALLDIR], quotes and it seems that it never succeed to pass the information to the DLL correctly. But the same thing is working in your project.

My project is "Basic MSI" and your is "Express" project. I tried copying MSHTA.exe in the project and launching it with command line as a path to .hta file. This works fine but we don't want to ship MSHTA with our product and use it as a last option.

Any clues?
Thanks,
Sanjeev