PDA

View Full Version : Version numbering .MSI/.EXE installation files?

cada0310
08-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

We do nightly builds here, and produce a single file .EXE and a single file .MSI installation file. I notice that with the .EXE, if the ProductVersion is set to our nightly build number, you can see it in the File->Properties in Windows Explorer. This is valuable, because our service department otherwise can't tell what version of the installation they have without running it.

It appears that you cannot change the product version from the command line (although the product code gets bumped every build, conveniently). This strikes me as a massive flaw - how do people handle this when building their installations from the command line? I figured I could just create a text file and put my version number in there so that at least I could display the nightly build number in the Welcome dialog, but am I really forced to change this by hand in the IDE every night? Or is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Chris

RobertDickau
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM
You can change ProductVersion and other project properties using the Automation interface from, say, VBScript code before you perform your build...

cada0310
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Robert.

I had found some sample VBScript to do that on the web, but it didn't seem to work. Do you guys have any sample script to do this? It must be a common request.

RobertDickau
08-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Perhaps look for articles in the newsletter archive containing "Automation": www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/details.asp. The ProgID you use in CreateObject changes from IS version to version, but the idea is the same...

rajeev15
11-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi Robert,
Quick question, what does IPWI Stands for?
Thank you
Rajeev

RobertDickau
11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
"IPWI" was the abbreviation for an old product name, something like "InstallShield Professional - Windows Installer".