PDA

View Full Version : Disable Modify radio button????

coJeff
07-26-2005, 05:38 PM
I posted this in the X forum but since I'm working with 11 I thought I would repost with a few edits.

Ok I know I've done this before but for some reason its not working anymore. I'm trying to remove the Modify option from the WelcomeMaint dialog. I know I deleted the icon, text and radio button before but why I can't anymore I have no idea. When I try to delete it, IS asks me if I'm sure and I click Yes to proceed. However it doesn't do anything.

I've also tried the toggle in the add/remove options. To be honest I've never seen this option work. The KB articles set "Disable Modify button" to yes, however mine says "Disable Change button", which I assume (maybe first mistake) is the same. Now I just tested this and with the "Disable Change Button" set to Yes in the add/remove properties, I installed my app, rebooted the machine, went to add/remove and tried to modify my install. So I clicked on the Modify radio button (remember this should be disabled) and clicked Next. The installer went to a copying file dialog and then to a Finish dialog. If this is disabled then it shouldn't have done anything.

I even just tried to clone it but it still won't let me delete the radio Modify option. I looked at an old v9 project and can delete the radio button Modify with no problem. I took the old v9 project, verified the Modify radio wasn't there, imported into my v11. I verified the modify still wasn't there, reverted the dialog back to default and then tried to remove the modify radio button again but couldn't!!!

So it has something to do with 10 or 11. I didn't use 10 long enough to know if its an issue with that version but 11 sure has the problem.

BTW, I'm using XP Pro with IS v11 and its a Installscript MSI based project.

Please help, I'm going insane!

m.rudolph
07-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I've had that problem too when editing dialogs. Closing IS and restarting it seems to always fix it though.

Disabling the buttons via project properties only takes the buttons away in add/remove programs where it's listed, not the dialog itself.

Perhaps you could create a new custom dialog worst case, and copy over the objects from the maintenance window excluding the modify option, then call it in the script rather than the default.

Good luck.

chrishein
07-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Another option is to delete these controls in the Direct Editor. Or you could export the dialog to a separate resource file and then use that resource file as an _ISUser.dll in your support files. This is a problem with our editor so using either of these work arounds should solve it for you.

Hope that helps,
Chris

coJeff
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I think for now I'm going to put a workaround in place and possibly fill out a bug report. If I delete the radio group control in the control table, most of the dialog disappears.

My workaround was to clone the dialog. Delete the radio control group in the control table on the Maint dialog. Then use the cloned dialog to refill the Maint dialog. The funny thing is I pasted the radio control group in the maint dialog and it came with 3 radio buttons. This is expected but then I selected Modify and then hit delete. Wouldn't you know it that worked!! Now I finally have a modified WelcomeMaint dialog.

Man I love going to a new versions of installshield, cause you get new features but also stuff that did work, stops working.

Oh yeah, rebooting the pc/restarting IS didn't do anything for this problem.

Now for testing! lol

ProgenyIS
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
In the Project Properties section of the General Information View, you can set Enable Mainenance to "No". This will get rid of the dialog box that has the three radio buttons and goes right into the Message Box that propts the user to unistall the app. Basically, when u select the add/remove programs button, a dialog pops up asking whether to uninstall or not. Im not sure if you want to only be able to uninstall in add/remove programs because that is all you can do with this particular option. However, it has worked for us before and fit our particular scenarios.

bluefish
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Okay, I had the same problem. I wanted to delete the modify option, and only have the repair and remove option in the program maintenance dialog. I am using 11. Closing IS didn't work for me. The next thing I tried was importing a modified dialog from X, but 11 is rather stuck in its ways: it insists on keeping all three radio buttons!! (grr!)

So I ended up deleting the controls in direct editor. Here is what I did:

1. In the User Interface -> Dialogs -> MaintenanceType ->Behavior panel,
Under Control Name -> Next
I deleted all 5 events containing "change" in its condition.

2. In the Additional Tools -> Direct Editor I modified the following tables:

----- Remove "modify" related text-------

A. Control Table:
Dialog: MaintenenceType
Control: Text1
Text: Change which program features...
Attributes: drop this row

B. Control Table:
Dialog: MaintenenceType
Control: Ico1
Attributes: drop this row

C. ISString Table:
Dialog: IDS__IsMaintenanceDlg_MaitenanceOptions
Change: Edit the text to "Repair or remove the program".

------Change the logic controling the dialog --------

D. Property Table:
Property: _IsMaintenance
Change: from "Change" to "Reinstall"

E. RadioButton Table:
Property: _ISMaintenance
Value: Change
Order: 1
Change: change the order value to 4

F. RadioButton Table:
Value: Reinstall
Order: 2
Change: change the order value to 1

G. RadioButton Table:
Value: Remove
Order: 3
Change: change this value to 2

H. D. RadioButton Table:
Value: Change
Order: 4
Change: Drop this row

3. Finally I went to User Interface -> Dialogs -> MaintenanceType ->English and adjusted the visual components.

Don't know if this is the best way to be doing this, *shrug*... but this worked for me :)

coJeff
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Well what I ended up doing is catching the Modify option in the Maintenance screen and popping up a message box telling the user there is no options to modify. The enable/disable maintenance option doesn't work the way I would expect it to. If you disable it then the user can't do a repair, so I just left it enabled.

jgoeke
10-25-2005, 07:15 PM
In InstallShield X, I was able to simply remove the "modify" controls from the dialog, change _IsMaintenance in the property table from "Change" to "Reinstall", and then build. Everything worked as expected.

...I wish IS would design the product so you could easily configure this without having to manually modify it....

---JHG