PDA

View Full Version : Visual Studio Project

Jo_Arch
07-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello,
I am developing an InstallScript Project (11) within Visual Studio. Net IDE.
I also added a new Visual C++ (Console Application) project.
My question is: how can I use ( if is possible ) a function defined inside a .cpp or .h file form the VisualC++ project inside my InstallShield script ( setup.rul file )?
Thank you for any reply.

MichaelU
07-26-2005, 10:31 AM
You will need to compile it into a DLL, and either prototype, UseDLL, and call it (InstallScript) or make sure the function is MSI-interface compatible and call it from an MSI DLL Custom Action (Windows Installer). In either case you will have to include this DLL with your project, probably in SupportDir. There is no functionality in InstallShield to incorporate the C++ function directly from source code.

Jo_Arch
07-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Thank you very much for your reply.
This is exactly what I wanted to do: avoid using a DLL / EXE file and work a
custom dialog ( its functionality ) directly within the VisualStudio IDE.
I thought that, if the IDEs are integrated I could find a relation between
the projects.
It seems that this is not possible.
Thanks again anyway.

MichaelU
07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
In that case let me clarify that in InstallScript and InstallScript MSI projects you can create custom dialogs. I'm not sure that you get all of the flexibility that you have with a Visual Studio-created dialog, but you can certainly get a lot of control. See Using InstallScript to Implement Custom Dialogs (http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield11helplib/Dialogs_ImplementStandard.htm) in the help for more details.