PDA

View Full Version : Patching: MinorUpdateTargetRTM not recognized

cnenning
07-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi,

Somehow, I cannot use the 'MinorUpdateTargetRTM' property when creating a patch. I want to perform a minor upgrade and ship it as a patch.
I use InstallShield 11 professional with HotFix 3 and MSI 3.1 (v2).
I receive the following error:
ERROR: Patch Metadata property: 'MinorUpdateTargetRTM' is not a generic MSI property.
It seems like an old version of MSI is used, but I have installed the newest one. Do you know what's the problem? Can I somehow find out which installer version is used to build my setup? Are there any issues when using this kind of patch?

Thank you very much,
Chris

arjanm
11-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem with this property and the other MSI 3.1 property 'OptimizedInstallMode'. I posted this with IS Support, and they say it's a bug, but they doen't when they are going to solve it.

I also tried to take the PCP-file which is created by IS and used to create the patch and removed everything which wasn't a default property according to microsoft and tried to create a patch using the modified PCP and the microsoft tool msimsp.exe. I get the same error, so I also asked microsoft if they could find the problem, because with a complete default PCP and the last version of the PlatformSDK it should work and it doesn't. I haven't had reply from microsoft yet, but I will post it here when I do.

arjanm
12-28-2005, 02:09 AM
I have got a reply on problem from Microsoft, and they say it's a bug in the PatchWiz.dll and it should be fixed if you use the PatchWiz.dll from the Vista SDK (beta).
It's a bit odd that the support employee of MS had to get this information from an engineer of MS and it can not be found on the internet anywhere. You would think this is quite a big issue and it should at least be a known issue.

sks2004
04-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I also have this problem. IS tech support responded noting that it is a bug with PatchWiz.dll. I too can't find any reference to this problem, and feel slightly suspicious.

It has been suggested that I use PatchWiz.dll version 4.0...but will this introduce possible compatibility problems for my target users? I hope not, but hope that someone out there has found a workaround.

sks2004
04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I acquired the PatchWiz.dll version 4.0...but IS-11 patch process fails at build right off the bat, with an error:6415.

I don't believe this DLL is compatible with IS-11.

Help.

sks2004
05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
InstallShield tech support found a workaround:

Please note that the following appears to provide a workaround to the patch creation error with MinorUpdateTargetRTM when using patchwiz.dll version 3.1:
1. Set the MinorUpdateTargetRTM setting on your patch configuration to Yes.
2. Go to the Direct Editor view and locate the MsiPatchMetaData table.
3. Enter a value into the Company column for the row that contains the MinorUpdateTargetRTM property.
4. Save the project.
5. Build the patch configuration from the Patch Design view, and ensure that patchwiz.dll version 3.1 is used to build the patch.

You can verify that the built patch contains the MinorUpdateTargetRTM property by opening the patch directory with Orca 3.1.

I have tested this workaround, and it works!

wyzerd
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, the solution works, but it is missing one more entry.

Also add company name to OptimizedInstallMode in MsiPathMetadata table.

Thanks!!!