PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade question

cada0310
07-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Ok, I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole upgrade thing with Installshield.

Our automated build procedure builds all of our apps and installations every night, bumping the build number. So, what we have is effectively new installs every day, only some of which are released to the field.

I've been playing with installing a set of features with our installation on a machine, then getting the next day's build, and then running the installation on the same machine again. I get the "blah blah blah will upgrade your product" dialog when I run the installation, which is pretty cool - it may get rid of us having a seperate "patcher" application, like we used to.

What I'm wondering is this: part of our installation involves running some SQL scripts to drop and create databases and install default records and such. When I run the upgrade, it runs this SQL script again (not so good). How do people get around this? Is there a way to say "don't ever upgrade this feature, it's just for fresh installations"? Or is it better to make the SQL script 100% non-destructive and smart enough to handle itself either way (which is a little more work).

I haven't created any "upgrades" in the IDE either - I don't see why I'd want to do this, since it's behaving this way already, and I haven't created one.

Thanks; and this is an Installshield MSI installation, btw.