PDA

View Full Version : Child Installs and SetupProgress dialog

DMorisseau
07-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I've been asked to add some text to the SetupProgress dialog to display when my setups child installs (which are launched via custom actions) run so it doesn't look like the system is hung up (the 2 setups take up to 5 minutes to run completely through)

How would I go about doing this? At a minimum, I need to say that it is installing product A followed by product B. Ideally, I'd like to manipulate the progress bar (50% after product A installed, 100% after product B installed)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Dennis

Stefan Krueger
07-22-2005, 05:58 AM
You could add a row to the ActionText table for your custom action. I'm not sure if this works for nested install custom actions.
Note that MSi Help explicitly says:

Integrated ProgressBars cannot be used with nested installations.
This is one of many reasons why nested install custom actions are strongly discouraged.

DMorisseau
07-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info; I had already figured out how to get the ActionText to show up, I was just hoping there was a way to get the ProgressBar to show something in the way of progress, even if it was something as simple as setting to 50% done when the 1st child install completed.

burked
09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Stefan,
How would you recommend subcomponent MSI files are installed, if not using nested installs?

I need to install another MSI from my install, but only after verifying earlier versions are uninstalled before the latest is installed.

Setup prerequisites cannot remove earlier versions if necessary, and I cannot use a custom action during the UI sequence, as i still need the work to be done if it is a silent installation.

I have no problem with creating custom actions to remove the nested installation and adding new msi for later patches, but are there other things to worry about in addition??

thanks,

Daren

Stefan Krueger
10-06-2005, 03:09 PM
The preferred method for this would be a launcher that would execute the MSIs in a row. Installshield's Prerequisite functionality was created for that purpose. If the built in functionality doesn't do what you need, you should create you own exe for the purpose. Not very convenient but the cleanest solution.