PDA

View Full Version : Internal error 2503

sks2004
07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I have a new uninstallation error:

(using a clean imaged machine)

When I uninstall from the Add/Remove programs (select Remove), I get an error: 'Internal error 2503', then an 'internal error 2502'. The uninstallation terminates.

When I uninstall from the Add/Remove program (select Modify), the Maintenance Dialog will display. Selecting 'Remove' will successfully complete an uninstall.

Within Windows Installer Help:
2503 - Called RunScript when not marked in progress.
2502 - Called InstallFinalize when no install in progress.

I am not sure what the root of this problem is. I have uninstalled 1000's of times without error, until this morning.

The target PC is: Windows XP Pro SP2, which originally had MSI 3.0. The setup upgraded it to MSI 3.1 (ver 2).

ghayathri
07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I am also having the same problem. Please let me know how u solved this?

sks2004
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
The problem appears to be a sequence problem within the ExecuteSequence. I have a CA that updates the 'ProductName' property upon install. If this CA is positioned after CostFinalize, and it is an uninstall as described previously...the errors will occur. If disable the CA, or move the position down before the InstallFinalize sequence...then all is well.

Within the InstallScript CA, I am acquiring a Property value (MsiGetProperty), reading a Registry value (RegDBGetKeyValueEx), building a new string, then writing to a Property (MsiSetProperty).

As stated before, if the uninstall is via the UI...then the problem never exists.

Basically, it seems the error numbers thrown are illegitimate.

Who's bug is this...mine, IS, or MS?

rbreidenstein
10-20-2005, 08:51 AM
i was able to get ride of the error 2503 and 2502 during install by renameing my package. I recieved these errors when it had the default package name and version. once given a name and version number the errors didn't show up.

Kelter
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
i just wanted to note for posterity that i was having this problem also. i had injected this error in a custom action that was meant to update the ProductName property. due to a typo in the CA, i ended up clearing this property instead of setting it! fixing this fixed the problem.

one more symptom worth mentioning: installation completed, no entry in ARP, add\remove programs, Programs and Features, whatever. however, upon re-running my installation, it would fire up in maintenance mode. it also failed to remove properly.

vincent.duvernet
09-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Here a script I've done to fix it :

- Close all your applications before

- Make a .BAT file

- Run .BAT file as admin.

.BAT source code :

msiexec /unreg
msiexec /regserver
TASKKILL /IM explorer.exe /F
explorer.exe