PDA

View Full Version : Limited possibilities in design of MSI dialogs?

swalser
07-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi there

I have some problems with customized dialogs in Basic MSI Projects. I know, that Basic MSI Projects are not as highly customizable as InstallScript MSI Projects, but I have allmost the same problems in both project-types. And I'm astonished that these problems are not more often discussed in the community nor mentioned in the online help. So I'm not sure whether my question is only a problem of misunderstanding windows installer properties. Anyway, maybe someone can give me advice.

I've designed two example to show you the problems I have (Examples (http://www.creativsoftware.ch/examples/)). You will find a screenshot of a compiled MSI setup with a customized dialog, and a screenshot with a "wish-to-have" dialog. Is it possible to set the style properties of Check Boxes, Edit Fields, Buttons and so forth so that they look like the "wish-to-have" example (especially the borders, transparency etc.)? Or is this impossible with MSI Projects?

Thank you for your advice.

Kind regards, Stefan

jmather
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
If you're referring to non-sunken textboxes and no border radio buttons:

To make a textbox not sunken, go to the design view of your dialog. Select the textbox to modify and in the properties list look for "Sunken." Change that to false.

To make a radio button group have no border, go to the design view of your dialog. Select the radio button group and in the properties list look for "Has Border." Change that to false. I'm guessing that what is happening is a border. If not, sorry I can't offer any more help.

swalser
07-20-2005, 12:58 AM
No. The properties of the controls are already set correct (Has Border = false / Sunken = false and so forth). I've tried all property-settings that are available. But without success. Therefore I turn to the community for advice.

aviswanathan
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
I tried what you did and faced with the same problem. Installshield does not provide options for making the radio buttons transparent. I looked at the MSI docs and it seems the radio button controls don't have the "Transparent" attribute in the control table. Only text controls have them.

BUT I found info on the Text column in the RadioButton Table. May be this will help?

Text
The localizable, visible title to be assigned to the radio button. If the text is too long to be fit on the control, then it is truncated. If the button displays an icon or a bitmap, then this column contains the name of the picture, which is a key into the Binary table. There is no way to show both a picture and text on a button.
May be some one has a better solution :confused:
-Arun

swalser
07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Thank you Arun, but this property (Text) didn't brought me back on track. I fear that this problem is insolvable. It would be nice, if someone of the "great developers" could say, whether there is any possibility to solve this problem or not at all. If there is no chance at all to solve this problem, I could forget it and do more relevant things, than to search for impossible solutions. ;)

- Stefan

RobertDickau
07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm not aware of a solution; if you use the Project Assistant to add a launch-the-application check box to the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog box---which has a custom white background---the option in fact consists of a check box with no text and a static-text control. (Mentioned in passing here: http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0505-articles/launch.asp...)

swalser
07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Robert, thank you, but on this way it doesn't work for me. It doesn't look very nice if I make the same procedure with the checkboxes. Even though I try to make the checkbox as small as possible, there are still gray pixels in the corners of the checkbox. And anyway, if I set the "Has Border" property of the checkboxgroup to "false", the wohle background of the checkboxgroup will be gray and not transparent in runtime. Differently, when I set the property to "true", but then I have an ugly border... :(

It seems to be impossible to get a satisfactory solution. But it doesn't matter. That's life :rolleyes:

- Stefan