PDA

View Full Version : .net Framework

RChapel
07-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

how can I add framework .NET support to my installation (installscript) project ?
I've already tried with a basic MSI (adding as redistributable) and it works well, but it doesn't appear in the objects view for an installscript project...

Thanks in advance

chrishein
07-19-2005, 10:38 AM
There is an InstallScript Object available for the .Net Framework. However you may need to download and install the InstallScript objects for IS 11. This should be available via Update Service or at the downloads page from installshield.com.

Then you can just include the object in your project and it will be installed with your project.

Chris

dhansen
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I believe you have to do the Check For Update and download it. Then it will appear in the object view.

Dean

m.rudolph
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't like the .NET object. I could have been using it wrong though.

Basically it runs in the background and can confuse the user to believe the installation is frozen and end up clicking cancel. There seems to be no user interaction or progress indicator.

Again, I simply dropped it into a component without adding any code though. So I may be talking out of my fourth point of contact.

I ended up using the redistributable and the interface/user interaction is nice.

RChapel
07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
You were right, I've found the .NET object thanks you.

And I agree with you m.rudolph !! But I don't understand what you do (oh my poor english...), you simply add it as a file and execute it, and it shows the installation interface ?

However, I've 2 others questions :

- Why doesn't it delete the directory \dotnet after setup as it's written in the doc ? Does it remove it for you ?

Files installed by this object
<TARGETDIR>/dotnet/Dotnetfx.exe
<TARGETDIR>/dotnet/LangPack.exe (only installed if the OS is one of the languages listed above)

(both are uninstalled if the common language runtime is successfully installed)

- And can I add only one Language Pack ?

And the last question ;), does an object exist for the SP1 ?

Thanks you in advance,

Regards.

m.rudolph
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I supposed you could toss a SetStatusWindow(100, "Installing .NET Framework, please wait..") or something just before it calls the object. In fact, this would make for a better silent install over the redist.

I think the Langpack.exe covers all the supported languages.

RE: The SP1, do you mean the hotfix for .NET? I installed the IS11 object at one point in testing and it removed my hotfix for .NET. I'm assuming it's already bundled in, and if it sees the hotfix there, simply removes it.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Worst case your test machine wont run your software properly. :D

RChapel
07-22-2005, 03:25 AM
Ok thanks you !

Yes the SP1 corresponds to "hotfix KB886903".

I made an experience, I created two setup, an InstallScript Project, and a Basic MSI Project, both with .NET Framework.

If the InstallScript is the first installed, when installing the MSI Setup the installation of the framework is launched.

If the MSI project is the first installed, when installing the InstallScript setup the installation of framework isn't launched.

So there is something more in the MSI project, certainly the SP1, you can watch my other thread about setup size http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?p=326556.