PDA

View Full Version : Combining Multiple Installs Into 1

rpreston
07-14-2005, 03:11 PM
The company I work for has decided to use one install to install our core products to make things easier on everyone and to allow us to distribute patches. We are using serveral InstallShield X installs to install our products now. The InstallShield X installs use the combination Windows installer and InstallScript (I think).

I'm guessing that I need to create an InstallShield 11 project from scratch and create a feature for each of our products and then use subfeatures to install the different options for each product.

We are planning to use an encrypted file to control which products a customer is allowed to install.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any comments or suggestions.

I was fairly familiar with InstallShield 6 but I'm fairly new to InstallShield X and 11.

Thanks and wish me luck ;)
Richard

rpreston
07-14-2005, 05:04 PM
I thought of one thing I need to find out. Can I use the custom dialogs from our InstallShield X installs in the new InstallShield 11 install? If so, how?

Richard

rpreston
07-15-2005, 09:28 AM
I just thought of another thing I'll have to figure out. I'll have to find a way to create a install dir for each product (top level feature) that's installed, but only create that folder if that feature is installed.

Ok, I think I realized that I just use the Destination property of the feature.

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud. :)

rpreston
07-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I guess the One of the biggest challenges I'll have is combining all of the install scripts into one and making things conditional based on which features are being installed.

rpreston
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I just thought of another question. I was wondering if there's some way to use components from my InstallShield X installs in my InstallShield 11 isntalls without having to create each component in InstallShield 11 and add files to them?