PDA

View Full Version : Billboards Help!

rookie_install
07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
:confused:

I have looked all over the place and I can't for the life of me find any conclusive information on how to display billboards. I have seen many pieces of how to do it, but nothing that has led me to be able to accomplish it yet. I am curious if there is any info out there?

RobertDickau
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I haven't looked at it, but there's something at www.installsite.org > Windows Installer > Tools & Tips that claims to cover it.

This thread seems to have a sample, too: http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=133012.

rookie_install
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I read everything and every link you posted but I am having no luck. I followed the second thread you posted but I couldn't seem to get billboards to display.

Am I correct in thinking that displaying billboards using installscript is one way to do it, and following the second thread you posted(simply editing all the tables in the direct editor) is another way?

I have been trying to make billboards display either way, but I am having no luck . :confused:

RobertDickau
07-12-2005, 11:13 AM
For an MSI project, yes, you'll need to modify the Binary, Billboard, and BBControl tables with the Direct Editor, in addition to adding the Billboard control to the SetupProgress dialog box; for an InstallScript project, you'll need to use the Billboards section of the Support Files view and enable the background window for the installer...

rookie_install
07-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok, so since I have a basic MSI project, I won't be able to use the installscript method to display a billboard?

Is it possible to elaborate a little on this "in addition to adding the Billboard control to the SetupProgress dialog box".

I appreciate any help, sadly I have been at this for days with no luck :(

rookie_install
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your help. I finally got a few billboards to display.

Lol, I have a couple questions now if possible could you help me out a little more?

First, do billboards only display in the installtion window? Is it possible to have billboards display similar to the splash screen one that can be inserted as setup.bmp? I'd like to have billboards that pop up in all four corners of the screen if that's possible. If so, how would I go about it, i.e. what kinds of things should I be searching for info on?

Thanks again for all your time!

RobertDickau
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
For Basic MSI, I gather billboards do have to show up on the SetupProgress dialog box, and not in a background window. For InstallScript projects the opposite is true: billboards appear in a background window, in whatever location you place them...

rookie_install
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Sounds good. I think since I am using custom actions and installing drivers I have to use a basic MSI project, so it seems to me that the installscript-project route is out for me.

Thanks again.