PDA

View Full Version : Workaround for Multi-Select List Box limitation

DMorisseau
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Has anyone come up with a work-around for the inablility of the ListBox to be able to select multiple items? My Basic MSI setup needs to have the option to run the SQL scripts against a list of databases chosen by the end user. The reason is that we have customers with multiple databases, but they may not be prepared to update all their databases at once (i.e. software upgrade to one location but not others).

In a previous post under "Prompting for SQL Database Name after SQLLogin", Hidenori gave me the way to set the property after the fact, I just need to know how to get my dialog to behave.

Stefan Krueger
07-11-2005, 04:49 PM
What I've done is use two list boxes side by side (left hand side with all available options, and right hand side with selected options). In the middle two buttons:
Add >
< Remove
to move entries from one listbox to the other.

DMorisseau
07-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Stefan, do you know where I can obtain a code sample for this type of dialog? I looked out on your InstallSite.org, but didn't see anything along those lines.

Stefan Krueger
07-15-2005, 04:53 AM
I think I never published it. I will have to go searching for the files (it's been a few years ago). Maybe you can send me a reminder by e-mail so I can let you know once I find them.

Stefan Krueger
07-19-2005, 05:35 AM
The sample is now available at
http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/articles/MultiListBox/index.htm

DMorisseau
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks so very much for the sample app. With a few tweaks to the script and some additional custom actions, I got the twin dialogs integrated into my setup within a few hours :)

Dennis