PDA

View Full Version : Hide an EXISTING software in Add/Remove components

sappu17
06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I need to hide an existing application in ADD/REMOVE programs. I know that setting property ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1 would do that, but that only works for the software that's not already installed.
Is there a way that you can access ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT of an already installed application and change its setting?

braggc
06-30-2005, 07:32 PM
i can only think of a nasty way and that is to remove that apps ARP information from the registry

Daniel K
07-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi,

Setting ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 will create a DWORD registry entry in the program's HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID} section called "SystemComponent" and set it to 1. There's no reason you can't do this post install to hide an installed application - it works; I just tried it.

Regards
Dan.

sappu17
07-29-2005, 04:23 PM
I looked into the registry key UNINSTALL\GUID but I cant find the "SystemComponent" key for my application.
When I looked at other registry keys, some of them did have the system component keys.
I still need to solve my problem as my application is already on the target system and I dont know what were the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT value when they installed it as I didnt join this company at that time.

Please reply me back soon,

thank you much!

MichaelU
08-01-2005, 10:42 AM
As Dan described, ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT is an indicator to Windows Installer to create the DWORD value SystemComponent. This method of creating the value only applies to install time. However the DWORD value will work no matter how it was created, and is read whenver the Add or Remove Programs applet refreshes, so you can manually create it at a later time for the same effect. It's probably not Windows Logo-compliant to do so, but it should work fine.

sappu17
08-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I didnt quite get you. My existing registry entry for my install doesnt have a DWORD entry for SystemComponent. So, there is no way of setting it or unsetting it after its installed on the machine. Isnt it?

sappu17
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
THank you much!

I think I figured it out.

pbasra
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Hello,

How did you figure out the GUID? I'm looking but I can't find my program.

THank you much!

I think I figured it out.

RobertDickau
10-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Your GUID should be the value of General Information > Product Properties > Product Code.