PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Creating a "New Project" And Building an existing Project

SkylineBill
06-29-2005, 10:12 AM
:eek: I've been using Install shield 11 for two weeks now and it's ben flawless. However on the morning of day 15 when I tried to create a new project I received an error message stating "Class not registered" then a dialog box opens titled "New Project" I've tried to fill it out but everytime I hit OK and error report is generated, which I've sent to IS supports e-mail address. Also when I try to open an existing project and do a build I get an error stating "Internal Build eror -7000" with the build log stating; "ISDEV : fatal error -7000: Internal build error". I've uninstalled InstShld and reinstalled and now receive an error that IsDevEdt.dll didnt register properly. I tried to manualy register it with regsvr32 but receive an error of failed to register return code 0x8002801c. Any help is appreciated. My client is getting concerned as am I. Help anyone!

Thanks in advance, Bill.

SkylineBill
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
I've reinstalled Windows XP SP 2. Reinstalled Install Shield 11 Professional. Previously I was getting an error thet IsDevEdt.dll would'nt register during the install process. Now that message is gone and the install went just fine. I'll update as time goes on. One theory we have is that the day I started having problems with IS 11 is the same day I created an MTS package for a VB6 app I'm maintaining. This is and was the first user created package on my machine. I'll post back if creating this MTS packlage seems to have made a difference.

Bill.

SkylineBill
07-01-2005, 10:03 AM
:cool: Ok were getting closer. I rebuilt my machine reinstalled Installshield 11 Professional and everything seems hunky dory. I was able to create new projests and even build existing projects. BUT, and a big but, as soon as I created a COM+ package, using dcomcnfg from the run comand window, Insallshield went back to it's old behavior. I couldnt create a new project because some object wasnt found and I couldnt build any existing, previously succusfully built, projects. That again caused an internal build error -7000 in the ISDEV step of the build. So, I'm opening up a support issue for $100 and we'll see if it's a legitamite bug or am I out of beer money for the Independance day weekend.

Bill.

SkylineBill
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Just in case anyone is fiollowing this post. I opened up a support incident on Friday 7/1. It is now Tuesday 7/5 and as of yet no resolution from Macrovision. Seems this scenario of creating an MTS package on my local machine is causing some internal and unexpected errors with Installshield. As soon as we reach a resolution I'll post it back here so no one has to endure this same type of problem.

Bill. :confused:

SkylineBill
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
:) Installshield devlopemtn staff is looking into the problem. We are able to consistantly recreate the problem with the support team in Installshield so now we wat to hear back as to a hot fix or another resolution. As soon as we get something I'll post back.

Bill.

SkylineBill
07-08-2005, 11:27 AM
:) It appears there is a legitimate bug in Install Shield 11. I dont have solution form Install Shield yet but heres a work around. The problem srises when there is an User defined COM+ package created or running on the same machine as the Install Shield development is taking place. Once a new, user created, package is built and components added, IS 11 has conflicts with some of its internal objects being envoked due to the fact that something, not sure what yet, has changed within the COM+ environment. So to avoid this problem do not create a COM+ package on the same machine you are doing your builds on with Install Shield 11. We endud up using DEV Studio 9 and it worked flawlessly. So, hopefully these posts will save someone the headaches and budget bombs I've had to experience with this issue.

Bill. Oh, by the way, I'm getting my beer money back from IS! Yeah!

migpal
07-12-2005, 03:22 AM
I actualy gave up trying to use the GUI for COM+ in the IS 11 Pro trial. :mad:

Instead I use 2 custom actions (install/uninstall) in VBScript to gently place my dll in c:\program files\complus applications\mything\mything.dll and remove it nicely on uninstall.

I can do this on the same machine. The VBScript calls COMAdmin to do its magic.

I'm buying 11 Pro anyway as an upgrade to DS 9; even though I hate buying buggy products.

Of course now I've bought it.... 11.5 or 12 will be out soon - just my luck. :rolleyes: Why cant they SP1, 2, 3, 4 - whatever.. IS 11 and give us some faith in the stability of the product.

SkylineBill
07-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Migpal, thanks so much for the insight. Wish I would have had this about two weeks ago. Going forward I'll give this a try. Maybe your answer will help save some others out there! I'm still waiting to hear whether or not a Hot fix will be released or if the next service pack will fix this issue.
Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback!
Bill.

migpal
07-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Glad to help. I am only installing one DLL but it has a bunch of methods in it. If you want I can post the VBScript I used. Not the best code I've written :o but it gets COMAdmin to create an application assign an identity user/password, then installs the components. The VBScript is out there on the net anyway - in one form or another - not rocket science.
Cheers!