PDA

View Full Version : Cant execute Patch using Update.exe in Installshield11

ajugeorge
06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

We are doing an Installscript MSI project using Installshield11.
When we make a patch for a Installscript MSI project using Patch Design View in the Installshield11 and tried to apply it on the Base package, its showing an error like : This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe
Actually we installed the Base package using the setup.exe only. But when I tried to run Update.exe, its showing this error.
But this error I was not getting when I made patches in Installshield10.1.

From the log file which I got while applying the patch created using Installshield10.1 and Installshield11 the difference I found is in calling the process ..

ie, for the Patch made using Installshield10.1, the log file is like ..

=== Verbose logging started: 6/28/2005 19:03:36 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435
Calling process: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\10\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe ===

But for the Patch made using Installshield11, the log file is like ..

=== Verbose logging started: 6/28/2005 19:09:30 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435
Calling process: C:\WINNT\System32\MSIEXEC.EXE ===

The patch which doesnt show that error(ie,created using Installshield10.1), is able to apply on the base msi which is made using Installshield11 without any problems. Its showing error for the patches made using Installshield11.

Is it the Installshield11 problem ?? Is there any HotFix for this problem ??
Or is there any workaround for this issue.
Please give some valuable suggestions to this problem, since am stuck up and not able to proceed because of this issue.
Any help will be greatly appreciated ..

Thanks in advance,

AJU

Daniel K
06-28-2005, 10:29 AM
This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe

I've only ever seen that error message when trying to run a standalone .msi file that has installscript custom actions on a machine that does not have the appropriate scripting engine. I noticed when I upgraded some of my projects that IS11 was not automatically replacing the InstallshieldXScriptingEngine redistributable with the Installshield11ScriptingEngine redistributable; so perhaps you have a similar problem?

Incorporating the Installshield11ScriptingEngine merge module from the redistributables view might fix it...

ajugeorge
06-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I tried by incoporating the Installshield11ScriptingEngine merge module from the redistributables view.
Then build my whole product, and also base msi and changed msi using Release flags. Then I made the Patch using that Base msi and changed msi. But when I tried to apply that patch on the whole product its still showing that same error message box saying
This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe .

But this time when I pressed OK it didnt terminate, instead it was hanging with the dialog box saying .. Please wait while Windows configures Project1

Still my log file was starting with .
=== Verbose logging started: 6/29/2005 11:30:33 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435
Calling process: C:\WINNT\System32\MSIEXEC.EXE ===

As an improvement, its extracting IDriver.exe and all to a Temp folder. But the problem is happening in ISVerifyScriptingRuntime ..
The log file shows ..

Action 11:30:36: ISVerifyScriptingRuntime.
Action start 11:30:36: ISVerifyScriptingRuntime.
MSI (c) (20:CC) [11:30:36:328]: Transforming table Binary.

MSI (c) (20:CC) [11:30:36:328]: Transforming table Binary.

MSI (c) (20:CC) [11:30:36:328]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Binary 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (20:AC) [11:30:36:343]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME~1\AJU~1.M3-\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI4677.tmp, Entrypoint: VerifyScriptingRuntime
MSI (c) (20:FC) [11:30:36:640]: Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

1: This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe.
1: The InstallScript engine version currently installed on this machine is adequate.
MSI (c) (20!0C) [11:30:39:937]: Product: patchmsi -- 1: This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe.

Action ended 11:30:39: ISVerifyScriptingRuntime. Return value 3.
Action ended 11:30:39: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Is this the Problem with Installshield11 ?? or Is there any other things to be done to resolve this issue ..
Please give some suggestions to this issue ..

Thanks in Advance,

AJU

ajugeorge
07-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi all,

This problem has been solved. What we did is, while building the base msi and changed msi, in the Release wizard, we selected the option for Windows Installer location and the Instalscript engine location as "Copy from source media". Earlier it was "Extract from setup.exe". There is some problem with this option and so when we changed it and build the patch by selecting its options also like,"Copy from source media" instead of "Extract from Update.exe", it worked correctly ..
But the problem which am facing now is, its not displaying it in Control Panel>Add/remove Programs. If some one knows the solutions,please reply ..

Thanks in advance,

AJU