PDA

View Full Version : Installshield 8.2.160.0 consistently fails install

purduephotog
06-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Evening-

I must apologize in advance for posting this topic here as no one has been able to answer my issue and Macrovision refuses to investigate or supply any help without a significant cash outlay.

Any software installer built with 8.2.160.0 will not install on a particular computer.

For instance:

iTunesSetup.exe (8.2.160.0)
PalmDesktopWin414EN.exe (8.2.160.0)
Emulex Fibre Channel (8.2.160.0)

Every other installer version I've tried works fine. But here are 3 package from 3 different software vendors and NONE will install- they bomb out with error 1628 Failed to complete installation.

So... does anyone have version 8.2.160 that is willing to write a test install script so that I can confirm it fails? I'd really love to know how and why it is but no one so far has been willing to assist me in figuring out what registry setting (and I have scanned and looked for differences), assuming it is the registry, is causing this.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Hirsch

braggc
06-26-2005, 09:16 AM
interesting one. The error you refer to means that there is a missing tablw if that's any help. Sounds like some corruption either with windows installer or the installscript engine

purduephotog
06-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I've upgraded/reinstalled the Windows scripting 2x, but I'll give it another shot again. The last time was rather... troublesome and as such I've been hesitant to do it again.

Like I said it's very odd. I can install the software on the 2 computers sitting next to me just fine, but it gets old running VNC over and over.

Since all three fail at the same point, what sort of table are we talking about?

MichaelU
06-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd check the articles in a search for "1628" over at http://support.installshield.com/; Macrovision KB article Q107319 looks likely to have something pertinent, especially one of the machine-specific causes such as number 5. If cleaning %TEMP% doesn't help, I'd also consider unregistering and wiping (read: renaming the containing folder) the engine from your machine (but only the version you're about to reinstall).

purduephotog
06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I went thru every option and suggestion in regards to 1628 an nothing worked.

I do appreciate the help you've so kindly offered- I am very disappointed with the results, but it isn't for lack of good suggestions.

I wish I had a better idea as to what to even 'sniff' for what would be triggering it when the install packages are running.

AndyUK
09-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I have been trying, unsucessfully, to install Symantec Partition Magic, Canon Photo utilities, ATI video adapter drivers etc., but just at the very end of the installation sequence, I receive error message "1628: Failed to complete installation". The installation really is incomplete.
I too have seen the advice given previously. Symantec suggested that I should check for Windows Updates (I have XP SP2) and to re-install "Windows Installer" or to run "installshieldupdateservice.exe". No use at all I'm afraid. My account has all permissions and I've even tried installing in Safe Mode in the Administrator account.
Please help - I really don't want to have to format my HD and start all over again.
Regards
Andy