PDA

View Full Version : Installshield 11,MSI 3.1 and standalone builder

Aflaat
06-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I have an IS 10.5 project that I upgraded to 11. Everything worked smooth. I upgraded our build machine with the standalone builder 11, and that still worked fine.

Then I went into releases, changed the MSI engine version to include from 3.0 to 3.1, and the standalone build fails to build saying it can't find the MSI 3.1 exe. This setup is a single exe setup, and it is set to extract the MSI engine from the setup.

I know when MSI 3.0 came out, you had to copy it to a specific directory, and rename the exe to instmsi30.exe. Do you have to do something similar for the 3.1 engine? I've tried making it look like the IDE directory, tried random renames in all kinds of directories, to no avail.

I can get it to build in the IDE, but our build machines only have the standalone builder on it. Its a win2k sp4 machine.

Is there a log file or a reg entry somewhere that would tell me where it is looking for this exe? I don't want to just overwrite the 3.0 exe, as I still need the 3.0 exe for other projects.

Aflaat
06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Looks like its a bug, with no workaround. This is what I got from tech support for anyone else trying to do this.

Thank you for contacting Macrovision InstallShield Support.

This issue has been reproduced and determined to be a bug in our software. This issue has been submitted to our Development team as work order #1-1B8C9P.

Currently there is no workaround for this issue. Our Development team is investigating this issue, but at this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed.

You can track the status of this issue using work order number by checking release notes at www.installshield.com/downloads or searching the Knowledge Base at http://support.installshield.com/kb/.

sks2004
07-02-2005, 07:11 PM
I got it working for me...had to copy the 3.0 and 3.1 EXEs. I can't recall where I put them, but we trial-n-error'd a few times before success was realized.

I will note: running IsSabld or IsCmdBld command line is insufficient, if you wish to create new/uniquely named product configs and/or release names. Also, accessing the COM automation proved to be buggy --some of the commands don't function (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=149383&page=2&pp=5).

We found that the only way to build a release via command line, with the required settings/properties, is to set the release values from within the IDE, then command-line-build call the exact-named Product Configuration and Release names.

Ryan A
07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I recently ran into this problem also, and support told me to place the redistributable into the standalone build program folder.. That didn't work, so I used FileMon to see where it was looking for the file. It's checking for the file at:

'InstallShield 11 StandaloneBuild\Language Independent\i386\MSI3.1'.

BUT, it's not enough to have it there, it also has to be at:

'InstallShield 11 StandaloneBuild\MSI3.1'.

It looks like if you don't have it in the first spot it won't bother looking for it in the second..

koarl7018
08-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I recently ran into this problem also, and support told me to place the redistributable into the standalone build program folder.. That didn't work, so I used FileMon to see where it was looking for the file. It's checking for the file at:

BUT, it's not enough to have it there, it also has to be at:

It looks like if you don't have it in the first spot it won't bother looking for it in the second..

i don't believe it!
this workaround really works for me :eek:
the "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe" has to be in both folders...
thats to much :mad:

thx Ryan

marc.gibian
11-23-2005, 03:22 PM
This worked for me as well. Just curious, how did you identify this is where it was looking for things?

sks2004
11-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I have to say...InstallShield (10.5 and 11) is an unfinished product.

Ryan A
11-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Marc,

I used FileMon to see where it was looking for the files.. you can get it at http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

It's a pretty useful debugging tool...

Ryan

srinivas
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Recently I also came across this problem. Standalone build complained about MSI 3.1
"ISDEV : warning -7065: The Windows Installer 3.1 Engine could not be found."

I downloaded KB893803 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en#filelist
and renamed the file to WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe and copied it to
and
Now I don't see the build warning.

Thanks for the previous replies.

sprinleo
06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi All,

i have done all that has been talked about in this thread, but still the same error: "ISDEV : error -7065: The Windows Installer 3.1 Engine could not be found. Please download this"

made sure that the WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe is present at "D:\Program Files (x86)\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\MSI3.1", "D:\Program Files (x86)\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Redist\Language Independent\i386\MSI3.1" and "D:\Program Files (x86)\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\Redist\Language Independent\x64\MSI3.1".

Yes, i am trying on a amd64 build machine.

any help would be highly appreciated !

sprinleo