PDA

View Full Version : Install even if no access to previous version

neddyflanders
06-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello, Here is what I want to do. I want to upgrade if their is a previous version out there but if the previous version does not allow access I want to install the new version anyway. I notice there is a setting in the upgrade that says Continue on Failure. Will setting this to Yes take care of my problem(if for some reason the previous version doesn't allow access)?

RobertDickau
06-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Minor and major upgrades should both by default run successfully if there's no earlier version installed; only patches require an earlier version to be present. Are you seeing something different?

neddyflanders
06-23-2005, 09:26 AM
This is an upgrade on the network. The problem is the earlier version on the network allows no access and the install errors out because it's trying to upgrade but doesn't have access. I want the install to continue in this situation. (I know the earlier version could have rights changed but that is not an option, don't ask:)

RobertDickau
06-23-2005, 10:41 AM
What type of upgrade is this, a minor or major upgrade? With a minor upgrade I'm not too hopeful, but for a major upgrade you might be able to "condition out" the RemoveExistingProducts action if you determine the earlier version can't be overwritten...

neddyflanders
06-24-2005, 10:33 AM
This is a major upgrade. I see the remove existing Products condition, I'm just not sure what to put in there. I need to say If there is no access then do a complete install to another folder otherwise if there is access continue with install.

RobertDickau
06-24-2005, 12:29 PM
From memory I'm not aware of a built-in MSI property to see if the target is writeable. I expect you'll need a custom action to do the detection and set a property based on the result, and then use the property as a condition on RemoveExistingProducts. (And also perhaps on a set-a-directory custom action that sets INSTALLDIR to a new directory, if you want.)