PDA

View Full Version : Need help with VPD registry

ellen_g
06-22-2005, 05:52 PM
:confused: HI,
we publish a number of software products that we want to use common (between them only) files. This common files need to be installed with first product, upgraded as needed with any product, and uninstalled only with the last product. I made some research, and discovered references to Vital Product Data thingie. Can anybody give me a hint on how this functionality is accessed withing IS v11? How do I assign certain files to be common files?
Thanks for your help!

MartinMarkevics
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
You can put your common files in merge modules, which will use the same component GUIDs. That way the components will be ref counted and only uninstalled when the last product using the file is unistalled.

ellen_g
06-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Martin. I'm still confused. I'm really puzzled. Maybe VPD is not what I need. Basically, the goal is to install files common between few applications in a shared folder. These files should be installed with any of the applications, which ever is installed first, updated with any application's update, and removed only when the last application is uninstalled. Is there an easy way of achieving this? I looked into authoring merged modules, and it doesn't seem to be something achieved through the IS Developer GUI controls. I'm not a developer, so I'm trying to avoid writing a code for IS.
I really appreciate all the help!