PDA

View Full Version : How to extract .msp file from update.exe

adil_javed
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
how can I extract .msp file from the update.exe (quick patch).

Daniel K
06-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Have you tried running it and looking in your %temp% folder? As far as I know the update.exe extracts the .msp file into the temp dir. Why can't you just change the project build settings - has the project file gone AWOL?

MartinMarkevics
06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
This will not allow you to extract the MSP per se, but you can open the MSP in the InstallShield IDE and make changes to it. We crack open the EXE as part of the open process, then repack it when you save it.

So, if you are looking to make changes or to see what the changes the MSP is making, you can just open update.exe in the IDE. When you browse to the .exe, the IDE will prompt you for the original MSI package. Once you specify that, you can easily see the changes the MSP makes, by looking at the color coded diffs in the Direct Editor.

adil_javed
06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't have .msi for that quick patch (update.exe). The problem is, we have issued the service pack 1 (update.exe) and have overwritten the .ism file (someone rebuild the sp1). Because of this PackageCode has chanded. Now I'm trying to build second service pack (quick patch) and it should be based on first service pack (.ism ). I am able to build the service pack 2, fine, but can't install it because this service pack has OriginalSetupPackageCode pointing to new PackageCode of SP1. so it could not find this package installed and throws error "Error: 2705. Feature". I need to get the original PackageCode from Update.exe and use that to build the second service pack. Any Idea?