PDA

View Full Version : Exclude .svn directory

stewieTL
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to exclude a directory when using Dynamic File Linking? It's a feature in IS 11 Universal, but not in IS 11 for windows.
It appears that you can only exclude files, but not directories.

:confused:

Karl

MartinMarkevics
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
There is currently no way to exclude a particular directory, only files. I'm not sure of your exact directory structure, but perhpas you can use the exclude filter to exclude file types found in the directory you are trying to exclude. Alternatively, you could make several dynamic links such that they do not include your folder(s) (again, I'm not sure of your directory structure, so I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do).

aviswanathan
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
There is currently no way to exclude a particular directory, only files. I'm not sure of your exact directory structure, but perhpas you can use the exclude filter to exclude file types found in the directory you are trying to exclude. Alternatively, you could make several dynamic links such that they do not include your folder(s) (again, I'm not sure of your directory structure, so I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do).

Actually what Martin means is how to get rid the .svn hidden folders that get created when you do a check out from subversion. They are kind of like the sourcesafe .scc files , the difference being, they are folders with subfolders inside of them. One way to do it is to run a batch script that removes all the svn folders before making the build. The other option is to create the build script so that it copies all the files and folders to a separate location for Installer build purposes. In this script you can control what gets copied. Then you can link this new structure dynamically to your installer project. The way I do it is a combination of build script and statically linking the files.

rgreen
10-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to exclude a directory when using Dynamic File Linking? It's a feature in IS 11 Universal, but not in IS 11 for windows.
It appears that you can only exclude files, but not directories.

:confused:

Karl

Ok, this is a few years late but I'm a new Installshield developer using IS 12 and I was having the exact same trouble and stumbled onto this thread. So for what it's worth for anyone finding this, here's the solution I came up with:

I defined this exclude filter on my dynamic links and and it seems to effectively exclude all the svn working base files from getting picked up:
*.svn-base, all-wcprops, dir-prop-base, entries, format

When browsing the resulting dynamic folder tree in the IDE, you'll still see the .svn folders but they are all empty. But more importantly, when you run the install, no empty svn folders get created.

As a further note, this really was only a problem on my development system were everything is bound to subversion. On our production build system, this is not a problem since we're running the subversion 'export' command to pull down fresh code. The idea behind the 'export' command is to pull a snapshot of code from the repository without any of the .svn folders that bind it back to the repository. I'm running the 1.4.x subversion client.

Hope that helps.

tyler5
06-25-2008, 04:12 PM
I came across this problem when we started using subversion, and I found that this was the only option that seems to work pretty well. It would be a nice feature of IS15 to have the ability to exclude folders as well as files from dynamic linking, but this will work out well enough for now.

cedricde
04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I had a simillar problem with .svn, you can resolve it by using export function instead of checkout from SVN, causing svn not to create the .svn directory