PDA

View Full Version : Many Projects

ethem.azun
06-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Hi,

I'm evaluating Install Shield 11 Professional Edition to see whether it fits our requirements or not. I'm using the VS.NET 2003 Integration.

We have a solution that consists of totally 24 projects. On the "Application Files" part of the Project Assistant, when I click on "Add Project Output", I only see 9 of those projects addable. I could not see any particular difference between these and other projects. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something? (I'm using a Windows Installer Web Setup)

Thanks,

Ethem Azun

MichaelU
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
In earlier versions of InstallShield, a database project could "block" the outputs from all subsequent projects. As far as I knew this limitation was corrected. However if you have some unusual project types for which you don't see any outputs, you could try (on a copy of your projects and solution) removing, saving, and readding any of the less usual project types. This will move them to the end where they shouldn't be able to block any others.

If doing this does allow you to see all the desired project outputs, I would really appreciate if you could tell us what kind of project you had to move, and ideally reproduce it in a sample solution so I could report it internally.

ethem.azun
06-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi,

The projects in the solution include several Web Projects and Class Library projects. Additionally there's a Reporting Services project.
We don't have any database projects in this solution.

Another helpful information might be; when I click on the "Add Project Output" button, I see an Install Shield error popup saying "Invalid Index", then the output selection window opens. Do you have any clue what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Ethem

MichaelU
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Seeing "Invalid Index" makes it sound really suspicious. My guess is that while it's not the database project, it's some similar problem with another project type. The "Reporting Services" project you mention sounds like a prime candidate, because I don't see how to create that kind of project, and thus we likely haven't tested against it before.

To verify whether this is the case, the simplest thing to do would be to (in the copy of your solution) remove the reporting services project. If project outputs start working perfectly, the behavior is tied to this project type and I would like to reproduce it in house and try to get it fixed in our future releases. Could you tell me exactly how I might create such a project type, including any plugins or addons I might need to have installed to do so?