PDA

View Full Version : 1603 Error: InstallScript engine is missing

Robert Smith
06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
When attempting to install, I get an error 1603, when I look at the error log I see the following...

Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD = The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup. If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

MartinMarkevics
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Robert,

Can you post the entire log file. These MSI properties are actually set to string values that contain the errror messages for certain error scenarios. By themselves, they really mean nothing and are expected in the log file.

Robert Smith
06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
The log file is attached. Thanks for looking at it.

Christopher Painter
06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
It looks like to me you had a rollback that failed. Take a look at your custom action:

Wdsfpca_CleanupFiles.C8C0673E_50E5_4AC4_817B_C0E4C4466990

If you don't see it in your project, it might be included in one of your merge modules.

Robert Smith
06-15-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't yet have any custom actions in this installer, so you are saying that a merge module might have one...can someone direct me to how to look at and/or modify the merge module's custom action so it will stop failing...or so I can remove the condition that is causing it to fail?

In the meantime I'm going to incrementally remove each merge module to see which one is the culprit. Thanks for the pointer...

Discovered that once I removed the MSXML 3.0 Merge Module, it installed fine...now trying to determine why...

Christopher Painter
06-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Open your build MSI in Direct Edit mode and look at your Custom Action table. If you see the CA then open each of your merge modules and see which one has it.

Realize that InstallShield can/will sometimes add mergemodules during the build even if they aren't selected in the Redistributables view.

Robert Smith
06-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly inside the data represented in the CustomAction table. I don't see anything that stands out to me as being particularly an issue. I've attached a gif image of the data rows. Are you seeing any issue?

Robert Smith
06-16-2005, 11:47 AM
So...ultimately how this was resolved was discovered after incrementally removing each of the merge modules from my project that MSXML 3 was the culprit, after much trial and error, finally ended up downloading the MSXML 3 merge module from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C0F86022-2D4C-4162-8FB8-66BFC12F32B0&displaylang=en) and using it instead of the one that installed with InstallShield. I was uncomfortable replacing newer files with older files (the .msm files), but the .dll versions were the same...and bottom line, it works. :D