PDA

View Full Version : MSSQL/ORACLE connection with installshield 11

hsong1
06-14-2005, 12:12 PM
hello

i am using IS 7 developer edition now and in my msi project, i have a custom action (written by C) to search active databases in the network, then connect/create database and tables. (both mssql and oracle)

but when i look through the IS documents and feature list, it seems that there are built-in features which handle database connection to oracle and mssql.

is this mean i don't need to have separate custom action to search and connect to datatbase anymore?

thank you

hidenori
06-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Yes, InstallShield 11 has the built-in database support for MSSQL, MySQL and Oracle. Once you add connections and SQL scripts in the SQL Scripts view, InstallShield automatically adds the built-in SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialog to your setup and run your scripts during the installation/uninstallation. I would suggest you to try InstallShield 11 Evaluation to see if it satisfies your needs.

Hope this helps.

ustas.michelius
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
hello!

i'm migrating IS project written in IS11 into IS2008.

In project there are SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs already exist and works perfect.

But after my migration on IS2008, SQLBrowse shows nothing. I've notised that ISSQLSrv.dll in IS2008 is different that in IS11, that's why correct functions can't be called and that's why i can't get correct result.

Can you plaese help me how i can fix this?

Thank you

hidenori
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
ustas.michelius,

Could you send me your original IS 11 project at hidenoriy@macrovision.com so that I can take a look?

Thank you.

ustas.michelius
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
hidenoriy@macrovision.com
correct?

ustas.michelius
02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
anyways, i'm posting here my email, because project that i used to get the same kind of errors are default created projects in IS11.

My email:

Hi Hidenoriy!

I can't sent you my real project because there are a lot of security restrictions here of my customer.
That's why i'm sending you simple projects that contains errors with SQLBrowse window too.

In Attachments there a 3 intall shield projects:
- 1. IS11 version project.zip
this project is a default project in InstallShield 11 that already contains SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs. Project builds ok and works ok. SQLLogin and SQLBrowse are ok.
- 2. IS2008 version - just converted. Errors on 2nd and other times press on Browse button.zip
this project is a project before that was opened in IS2008 and automatically converted by IS2008. If you build it and run, you can go to the SQLLogin, press browse to open SQLBrowse dialog you will see that seems its works. Close is and open SQLBrowse dialog agian and again and nothing will be working there.
- 3. IS2008 version - DB connection was deleted, SQLLogin, SQLBrowse was deleted and everything was added again. Errors all the time when you press on Browse button.zip
This project is a project before (2nd) where i performed the following operations:
- deleted DB connection (from SQLView)
- deleted SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs (from Dialogs view)
- added new DB connection (and SQLLogin and SQL Browse dialogs will appear automatically in Dialogs)
If you build it, run it and go to the SQLLogin dialog and try to open SQLBrowse dialog you'll see errors there. Always some strange strings.

Please help me with it!! How it can be fixed?

Thank you!!!!

hidenori
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Can you attach only IS11 version project.zip with password protected to this thread, and send the password via email?

ustas.michelius
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
.. trying to add attachment here
There is no need in password - its just empty new created Basic MSI project in IS11

hidenori
02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I could not reproduce the behavior that you have reported. The SQLBrowse dialog displayed all SQL Servers after migrating your IS 11 project to IS 2008. I am wondering if it is reproducible on your side when you create a new Basic MSI project in IS 2008 from scratch.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

ustas.michelius
02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
In Attachments there a 3 intall shield projects:
- 1. project.zip - IS11 project
this project is a default project in InstallShield 11 that already contains SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs. Project builds ok and works ok. SQLLogin and SQLBrowse are ok.
- 2. project.zip - IS2008 project
this project is a project before that was opened in IS2008 and automatically converted by IS2008. If you build it and run, you can go to the SQLLogin, press browse to open SQLBrowse dialog you will see that seems its works. Close is and open SQLBrowse dialog agian and again and nothing will be working there.
- 3. project.zip - IS2008 project
This project is a project before (2nd) where i performed the following operations:
- deleted DB connection (from SQLView)
- deleted SQLLogin and SQLBrowse dialogs (from Dialogs view)
- added new DB connection (and SQLLogin and SQL Browse dialogs will appear automatically in Dialogs)
If you build it, run it and go to the SQLLogin dialog and try to open SQLBrowse dialog you'll see errors there. Always some strange strings.

Pleeeease!!! i really hope that you can find the same problems as i found

hidenori
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Please remove the following entries from your project using the Direct Editor, and see if it fixes the problems:

ComboBox table
IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER 1 TestValue

ListBox table
IS_SQLSERVER_LIST 1 TestValue

Those entries were introduced in IS 11 Beta. However they have been removed in IS 11 RTM because we noticed they caused some unexpected run-time behaviors.

Thank you.

ustas.michelius
02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
projects that i sent you works super with your fixes!!!

now i have to implement it to my project (your pure solution doesnt work for it, but i'm still researching)

thank you alot for your helps!!

ustas.michelius
02-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Please can you explain me what is it and what effects will brings to me this my solution?

The story is that in attachments there is a project the same as i sent already to you (3rd one).

I've inserted there one variable with some strange value and i got the same functionality of non-working SQLBrowse dialog as in my project.

Property Manager -> IS_SQLSERVER_CONNECTIONS_TO_VALIDATE =
Bootstrap_User_Connection

if you clear its value ("Bootstrap_User_Connection") then everything becomes to work again!

And once again - my problem is that SQLBrowse dialog shows nothing :( .. completely nothing. And with clearing value of this variable everything is becomes ok. but i'm not sure what i am doing with clearing of this variable.

Please can you explain me what is it and what effects will brings to me clearing of this variable?

hidenori
02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
The problem is that you do not have a connection named "Bootstrap_User_Connection" in the SQL Scripts view. The IS_SQLSERVER_CONNECTIONS_TO_VALIDATE property overrides the connection(s) that will be tested when clicking the Next button on the SQLLogin dialog. By default, all the connections in the ISSQLConnection table will be validated. In addition, the SQLBrowse dialog queries the server names only for the database technologies (Microsoft, Oracle, and/or MySQL) that are selected for the connection(s) to be validated. Since there is no connections to validate, you have the SQLBrowse dialog with an empty list.