PDA

View Full Version : NT service problems

Psss76
06-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi. I'm using the trial version of installshield ( last version ).
what i'm trying to do is to create a setup in which i have serveral exe that i want to transform in services.
I have followed the procedure described in the help file... but i continue to have the same "1053 error"...
Ok... what i want to ask is if someone can explain me exactly how do i have to use installshield for creating an NT service... or if already exists a text about it ( except the help file of the software cause it is not so useful ). I've tryed several ways, but i'm sure i'm doing something wrong ( maybe a stupid little thing ).
I thank u in advance, hoping that u can answer me as soon as possible, cause i should decide if buying or not the last version of installshield.

Psss76
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
i have a doubt...
with installshield is it possible to transform any executable in service?
My .exe are writtend in c++...

Drookue
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
A regular EXE cannot will not work as service. A service has special events in it that it must respond to for it to work. There are applications out there that can wrap an exe to make it a service however. As for Installshield, just go components, then expand to the advanced section and you will see the Install a NT Service section where you can pick the exe, give it a name, etc.

Psss76
06-14-2005, 10:31 AM
ah ok... so InstallShield can convert any exe in a service?
In any case, my problem is that InstallShiled is able to insert my exe in the "services database", but not able to start it!
That's make me crazy cause it is 2 days im working on it :) and ive changed several times the parameters... I also tryied to see around if i had to put any partucular function in the source code of my exe, but it doesnt seem so...
I tought to use srvany of nt tool kit, but i can't use it for commercial purpose and, moreover, if i need to uninstall the software there will be problems... i dont think it is really professional :(...

Drookue
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
That's not what I meant. Even though Installshield can create an NT Service for any exe, if the exe is not really a service exe then it won't start.

Psss76
06-14-2005, 10:40 AM
ah ok... now I understand... so I should try to see first how to create a service... surely there will be API that can help me... the problem is that im using pure c++ so i have to do everything by myself :( using open source compiler... do u know if there are example codes somewhere? Thank u again really much!