PDA

View Full Version : administrative install problem

MMoras
06-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Can anyone help me understand why I cannot use an administrative install on my setup.exe? The application works fine when I run setup.exe but if I run an administrative install I get a SETUP.MSI and 214 other files, if I try to install the SETUP.MSI I get an error "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the msi package. You must run setup.exe".

Can any explain this to me?

Thanks,
Mike Moras

MartinMarkevics
06-13-2005, 05:28 PM
This error occurs because the MSI is an InstallScript MSI setup, meaning that it requires the InstallScript engine. Setup.exe installs the InstallScript engine before the MSI is run, so you need to run the setup using setup.exe, not just the MSI.

MMoras
06-14-2005, 10:21 AM
This error occurs because the MSI is an InstallScript MSI setup, meaning that it requires the InstallScript engine. Setup.exe installs the InstallScript engine before the MSI is run, so you need to run the setup using setup.exe, not just the MSI.

Is there any way to repackage it so that it could run from just a standalone MSI?

Thanks
Mike Moras

RobertDickau
06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
The latest version of AdminStudio (www.installshield.com/products/adminstudio/) has an option to repackage an InstallScript MSI so it can be deployed with the MSI; see also Macrovision KB article Q108166 at http://support.installshield.com.

MMoras
06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Thank you for the pointers but they both failed. I tried to repackage the file from Adminstudio 6 and the repackage missed 99% of the files and all of the dialog screens. I tried to follow Macrovision KB article Q108166 to install the MSI, I was able to modify the MSI to add the property ISSETUPDRIVEN=1 but I cannot tell which version of ISScript.msi to use, I tried ISScript, ISScript8, ISScript9, ISScript10, ISScript105, and ISScript11 but they all came back with en error that the install needed the latest ISScript.MSI.

Mike Moras