PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Nested MSI Install

mamoras
06-13-2005, 12:57 AM
I am having problems running a nested MSI install from within my installer, as far as I can tell the second MSI is an Installscript MSI not a Basic MSI, and it was written with a setup.exe wrapper so that all I have is a setup.exe. If I run setup.exe /a to extract the .msi I also get 215 additional files. If I try to run the msi by itself I get an error message saying "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package."

Can anyone tell me how to integrate this installer into my installer? I assume I have to use a nested MSI custom action but I have not had any luck gettting it to work.

Mike Moras

DMorisseau
06-30-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing, but slightly different..I have been tasked to have my setup call another vendor's setup routines with pre-set install options (ie Custom setup and some options de-selected). I recorded the setups and got my ISS files, but now can't get them to execute without getting an internal error 2707.

Daniel K
07-01-2005, 06:05 AM
You've got a bit of problem there - an installscript msi wont run without a setup.exe (personally I don't like or use installscript msi projects). However, if you just launch it as an executable I suspect you'll get an error telling you that there is already an installation running (as you'll be launching another MSI from the execute sequence).

The only way around I can think of is to drop the setup.exe in your support files, write a CA to kick off the install and run CA from the UI sequence. However this will only work on NT based system (where the UI and Execute sequence run in separate streams) and will not work for silent installs (where the UI sequence is not run).

Far from perfect, but as far as I know that's the best you can do...

DMorisseau
07-08-2005, 07:39 AM
What I've been able to do so far is to set up a custom action to launch the secondary setup using a Launch an EXE custom action. I ended up placing the setup and iss file in the Support Files/Advanced Files/Disk1 part of the project, and setting the Install UI sequence for this action to be after ExecuteAction

Doing this enabled me to get the 1st of my 2 secondary setups running fine. I'm still having issues with the 2nd setup, it won't run completely from the custom action, but will run completely if I do it standalone (Start-> Run)