PDA

View Full Version : How to check what programs are running?

rdemarco
06-09-2005, 02:44 AM
Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to check to see if other applications are running? I need to prompt the user to close down things like IE and Excel before continuing install.

Thanks, Rick

Peerke
06-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to check to see if other applications are running? I need to prompt the user to close down things like IE and Excel before continuing install.

Thanks, Rick

You could use FindWindow in InstallScript.

rdemarco
06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks Peerke..

FindWindow is an option. I'm looking for the similar functionality that say MSN Messenger has when it try's to install and you have IE, Outlook etc open, it prompts you to close down these applications. Does InstallSHield have anything like this built-in or would I have to do a FindWindow and if it doesn't return NULL then I know the window is open and use my own custom dialog?

Thanks, Rick

RobertDickau
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
The standard FilesInUse dialog box appears if your installer is going to overwrite an application that is running and which has a window with a caption bar.

For other files, you'll need a custom action that calls FindWindow, or (InstallScript) Is(FILE_LOCKED, "path\\to\\file.exe"), or something of the sort.