PDA

View Full Version : Failed MSDE 2000 Install

Publik2
06-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi :)

I am using install shield 11.

I need to install MSDE 2000 sp3a for my application to run. I have included Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP3a Setup Prerequisite in the install. Whenever I run the install I give the OK to install MSDE, and as soon as it starts it fails.

"The installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP3a appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation?"

Now by default there are 2 conditions to this setup Prerequisite:

The below files have to exist with certain versions

[ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqldistx.dll

[SystemFolder]shdocvw.dll

Now there are a couple of things I don't understand. How is a user with a clean install going to have a directory called Microsoft SQL server\80\COM ...
When they don't have SQL server installed yet?

Also, I have tried removing the above condition, and it still fails, even though I know the other condition: [SystemFolder]shdocvw.dll condition is true. I have tried removing BOTH conditions and it does'nt throw an error, but it just quickly moves onto the installation, in other words, it doesnt do anything.

Also I made sure I populated the setup.ini with
[Options]
SAPWD="Dame1234"

we will windows authentication anyway (not server), so it doesnt matter, but apparently you must at least put the above entry into the setup.ini.

I would REALLY appreciate any help on how to get MSDE to install

Thanks
Damien

Publik2
06-08-2005, 02:02 AM
The pervious problem getting MSDE to install was I believe computer specific. Although I had totally different results on windows 2000 pro sp3, it started installing then right at the end failed.

But my next question is:
During install I run an SQL script to setup the database schema and replication. For this reason after I install MSDE, I need to get the SQL Server and SQL Agent running before I run the install and thus the SQL script.

How can I get the server and the agent to run after I have installed MSDE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers