PDA

View Full Version : remove through add/remove, modify through setup.exe

sthomasy
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a basic msi project and we want to have the following behavior after user first installed our product:

1. If user clicked the "remove" button in Add/Remove program, the installer will uninstall.

2. If user run "setup.exe" again from source, the installer should launch into the "modify" mode, let user select features and go through the installation sequence.

I know how to do this in an InstallScript project, by manipulating the UNINSTALL_STRING during install and in the OnMaintBefore() function, as described in Q104327. But how do I do this in a basic MSI project?

Thanks for help.

Tim Owers
06-08-2005, 03:04 AM
The steps you require are default behaviour.
What currently happens to your installation using the steps you outlined?

sthomasy
06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the response. Sorry If I didn't make it clear in the first post.

I'm doing a basic MSI project. Here is the current behavior after 1st installation:

1. Run setup.exe from media again: previous installation is automatically removed (undesired behavior), the installation then proceed as a fresh install.

2. Click on "Change" button from Add/Remove programs, installer goes into maintenance mode as expected.

3. Click on "Remove" button from Add/Remove programs, installer removes existing installation as expected.

So the only behavior I want to change is case #1. When user runs setup.exe from media again after first installation, I want the installer behave like the "Change" button is clicked from the Add/Remove Programs panel.

RobertDickau
06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
That's odd; does (1) happen only when you run setup.exe from the InstallShield interface, or even when you double-click setup.exe directly? There's a Tools > Options > Preferences setting that specifies whether an earlier installed build should be removed when you run from the InstallShield environment...

Tim Owers
06-08-2005, 12:23 PM
...also the behaviour of a major upgrade?

sthomasy
06-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help.

Robert is right. It only happened when running from InstallShield IDE and the checkbox under Tools->Options->Preferences I forgot.

Again, thanks for the replies.