PDA

View Full Version : Linking custom action DLL to custom dialog button

icfantv
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi-

I have a Custom Action DLL in which I have a function I want to call when a user presses a custom button in a custom dialog.

I'm pretty sure the events are set up correctly in the ControlEvent Table and with some debugging MessageBox'es I successfully retrieve the handle to the button in the dialog (when the button in question is clicked) and the handle ID matches the ID in the Control table so I know that's all kosher. My problem is that the function in the DLL is just NOT being called - almost like the installer is ignoring the ControlEvent table.

My question is: Is there some special code I need to have in my .RUL file to tell the installer to query the ControlEvent table or call the Custom Action?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Adam

icfantv
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Aha!

If you set up the DLL function call as a custom action inside your InstallShield product, you can use MsiDoAction() to call the custom action. If you need to transfer data back to the Installer, you can use the MsiSetProperty() and MsiGetProperty() functions.

Just an FYI, it appears that for InstallScript MSI projects, the ControlEvent table is ignored. Not sure if this is true or not, but this is the behavior I am seeing.

-Adam