PDA

View Full Version : how to get the product code of unregistered applications

sappu17
06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I am upgrading our product already installed on the client's machine. But, in the previous installation, we are not sure where the product code is stored in the target machine. Is there a way to pull this up?

I am guessing that its in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL

I want to be able to override that to the new product code.

Please reply asap.

RobertDickau
06-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Can you open the existing MSI database for the old product and look in the Property table?

sappu17
06-22-2005, 09:55 AM
How to open the msi database?

I have one more problem. This is a "single executable" which has only one setup.exe and the .msi file is created somewhere, unknown location I think. How do I search for it? Where is it stored when we choose a "single executable" option?

RobertDickau
06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
You can open the MSI database with InstallShield or Orca.

To extract the MSI database from a self-extracting EXE, you might run an "administrative installation" with command:

setup /a

sappu17
06-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I still dont know how you can access MSI DATABASE. I am using INSTALL SHIELD 11, I know how to go to Direct Editor.

RobertDickau
06-22-2005, 12:08 PM
If you can find the MSI database, right-click it and select "Edit with InstallShield"... You might have to tell Windows to show hidden files for you to be able to view %windir%\installer, where the cached MSI databases are stored.