View Full Version : Standalone build for projects w/ custom dialogs

06-02-2005, 01:15 PM

I edited the SdShowDlgEdit1 dialog layout to resize the field1 and edit field in my InstallScript project.

When I built the project within InstallShield 11 Pro or using StandaloneBuild on my development machine, the result setup.exe displays the custom SdShowDlgEdit1 dialog properly.

However, if I built the project on the build machine which only has InstallShield 11 StandaloneBuild tool installed, then when running the setup.exe created there, the custom SdShowDlgEdit1 dialog becomes smaller and the texts in field1 and title are both chopped off at the bottom.

I only move the .ism (project file) and .Rul (script file) to the build machine to do the stand alone build.

How to fix the custom dialog issue on the build machine?

By the way, I have several InstallScript projects built on the build machine. Some projects use the custom SdShowDlgEdit1; while others use default SdShowDlgEdit1.



06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I experinced a similar problem some time back with IS X. After several weeks of IS Support assistance they helped me track it down to a difference in the Display Properties DPI settings between the two machines. I had created the custom dialogs on a macine with the Display Settings\Advanced DPI setting set to Large (120 DPI) and when I moved the project.msi to another system where the DPI was set to 'normal (96dpi)' the layout of the custom dialog was all messed up. I had to change the Display Properties of the new PC to the same as was the case when the project.msi was created with the custom dialog before I tried to build the project.msi on the new system. I started from a new copy of the msi file rather than trying to build the project that was messed up. :) :)

06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
After I use the same DPI settings on both the build and development machines, the issue is fixed. :)

Thanks a lot.


06-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Great! Chris H did a great job at IS Support of helping me track down this issue, but I think he would agree that it was a very painful two + weeks of experiments. I believe he filed a bug report on the issue but I do not have a job tracking code.

06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for saving me two weeks to trouble shoot this issue :) Hope they will fix this issue soon.